Re: [akka-user] Digest for akka-user@googlegroups.com - 17 updates in 6 topics

Jason Mason

Jan 17, 2018, 4:16:36 PM1/17/18
to akka...@googlegroups.com
unsubscribe

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 10:28 AM, <akka...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/akka-user/topics

    Boney Sekh <bone...@gmail.com> Apr 15 10:55PM -0700

    Hi,

    I have been trying to use the Patterns.gracefulStop to stop an actor
    gracefully. I know my internal actor is stopped by verifying the postStop
    method is invoked.
    However, the future is not returning true and is held until timeout.

    Is there a bug?

    Here is my code:

    public class TestActor extends UntypedActor {

    private final Logger log = LoggerFactory.getLogger(TestActor.class);

    final ActorRef target;

    public TestActor( ActorRef target ) {
    this.target = target;
    }

    @Override
    public void postStop() throws Exception {
    super.postStop();
    log.info("Actor stopped...");
    }

    @Override
    public void onReceive( Object msg ) {
    if ( msg == Command.STOP_PROCESSING ) {
    log.info("Stopping actor...");
    getContext().stop( getSelf() );
    } else {
    unhandled(msg);
    }
    }

    }

    Code to stop:

    Future< Boolean > stopped = Patterns.gracefulStop( actorRef,
    Duration.create( 5, TimeUnit.SECONDS ), Command.STOP_PROCESSING );
    Await.result( stopped, Duration.Inf() );

    Boney Sekh <bone...@gmail.com> Apr 16 01:59AM -0700

    Hi,

    I thought I should add this. Basically this works when my TestActor is at
    the system level, i.e. system.actorOf. However what I am trying to do is to
    stop an actor *which is a child of another*.

    Thanks,

    On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:55:59 PM UTC+8, Boney Sekh wrote:

    "√iktor Ҡlang" <viktor...@gmail.com> Apr 16 11:24AM +0200

    Hi Boney,

    can you create a _minimized_ code sample that is self contained and shows
    the perceived bug?

    --
    Cheers,

    Boney Sekh <bone...@gmail.com> Apr 16 06:54AM -0700

    Hi Victor,

    Thanks for your reply. While I was trying to create the sample, I realized
    the problem was that I was using TestActorRef and that was probably the
    reason. When I moved my test to using JavaTestKit, it worked fine. Your
    reply helped me to get to the problem and thanks for that.

    Regards,
    Boney

    On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:24:52 PM UTC+8, √ wrote:

    "√iktor Ҡlang" <viktor...@gmail.com> Apr 16 04:03PM +0200

    You're most welcome.

    Happy hAkking!

    --
    Cheers,

    Justin du coeur <jduc...@gmail.com> Apr 15 03:07PM -0400

    Fairly idle question, but I'm curious whether the team has an opinion.

    In my development, I'm getting to the point where each Space has a
    good-sized collection of Actors involved with it: a state manager, a
    conversations manager, a couple of persistence workers, n UserSession
    Actors with a UserSessionManager, and a router/root dealing with messaging
    through this whole shebang. They're very deeply inter-related to each
    other, and I find myself needing to refer to the collection in the
    comments/docs.

    I've found myself calling this a "hive", for no particular reason except
    that it's the term that seems most intuitive to me, but I was wondering if
    there is any consensus terminology here.

    The closest I can think of from what I've seen is "aggregate", but that's
    fairly recent since DDD became a hot topic around here, and it feels like
    slightly the wrong semantic level: "aggregate" is really about the data,
    and I'm thinking about the Actors themselves. (That said, folks do seem to
    be calling the idea of that router the "aggregate root", so it is possible
    that DDD terminology is taking over.)

    What have y'all been calling this concept, if anything?

    "√iktor Ҡlang" <viktor...@gmail.com> Apr 15 10:16PM +0200

    "A cast of actors"?

    --
    Cheers,

    Justin du coeur <jduc...@gmail.com> Apr 15 04:43PM -0400

    > "A cast of actors"?

    Heh. Aside from the word "cast" invoking a bit of lingering PTSD from my
    C-programming days, I rather like it...

    Daniel Armak <dana...@gmail.com> Apr 15 11:52PM +0300

    "Cast" does seem to have the potential for confusion. How about "a company
    of actors", or maybe "troupe"?

    Justin du coeur <jduc...@gmail.com> Apr 15 05:21PM -0400

    > "Cast" does seem to have the potential for confusion. How about "a company
    > of actors", or maybe "troupe"?

    Oooh -- a word that isn't being used for anything else yet! Beautifully
    evocative, too. I think I'll use "troupe" for now. Thanks! (And thanks
    to Viktor for starting this line of thinking...)

    "√iktor Ҡlang" <viktor...@gmail.com> Apr 15 11:25PM +0200

    you're most welcome

    happy hakking!

    --
    Cheers,

    Liang Tang <liang...@gmail.com> Apr 15 09:19AM -0700

    I discovered the bug finally: the name in system.actorOf is wrongly
    defined. That Caused this bug.

    On Monday, April 14, 2014 9:56:21 AM UTC-5, Martynas Mickevičius wrote:

    Filippo De Luca <m...@filippodeluca.com> Apr 15 07:37PM +0100

    The thing is, under the load, the actor will have always messages so it
    will never process other messages. That may fit the user case anyway, but
    may also not.

    Btw it was one of my initial idea.

    --
    *Filippo De Luca*
    ---------------------

    Scott Clasen <scott....@gmail.com> Apr 15 11:59AM -0700

    Not necesarily true depending how you model it. Im not suggesting sending
    all messages received from the stream to the actor, but to send control
    messages to the actor to tell it what to do with the stream.

    For instance, model such that...

    streamActor ! Receive

    will make the actor poll the stream and do something if there is a result,
    for instance. Once you receive a message, do something with it, then send

    self ! Receive

    to continue processing the stream.

    in the mean time between processing the received message and the `self !
    Receive`, the actor could have received other messages which it will
    process before processing the next Receive message.

    On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:37:54 AM UTC-7, Filippo De Luca wrote:

    Filippo De Luca <m...@filippodeluca.com> Apr 15 09:08PM +0100

    Oh I see,
    Of course between one receive and another one, the mailbox could receive
    other messages. And it will be process one for each Receive.

    Got it, It is cool. Thanks

    --
    *Filippo De Luca*
    ---------------------

    delasoul <michael...@gmx.at> Apr 15 12:44PM -0700

    Hello,

    problems using a view for multiple processors have been discussed before,
    e.g.:
    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/akka-user/Tb1Qqh4ZMmo/ssqiBEQ_Eb0J
    It would still be a great feature to have though(when you need an
    aggregated view on events of multiple processors).
    The solution to send the events from views to an aggregator still leaves me
    with the question why then use a view at all and not just send the events
    from
    the processor to the aggregator directly? When using a view in the "middle"
    one has to deal again with not sending duplicate messages to the aggregator
    when views
    replay, persistence(if needed) of the aggregator, losing messages etc. or
    am I missing smthg?

    michael

    On Monday, 14 April 2014 16:42:08 UTC+2, Chanan Braunstein wrote:

    Jakub Czuchnowski <jakub.cz...@gmail.com> Apr 15 10:41AM -0700

    Thank you guys for the information. I'm going to write some code now and
    get back with more questions :)

    Jakub

    On Monday, April 14, 2014 10:34:59 PM UTC+2, rrodseth wrote:

> [...]
---