activationFutureFor fails intermittently, ActivationProtocol$EndpointActivated goes to Deadletter

Johny Rufus

Jun 30, 2016, 3:46:55 PM6/30/16
to Akka User List
I have a server startup code, that starts an actor ( which is a Netty/Camel Consumer)  and waits for the actor to be started using activationFutureFor

val camel = CamelExtension(system)
Await.result(camel.activationFutureFor(serverRef), timeout.duration)

Intermittently what happens is, the startup code does not execute anything after the call to activationFutureFor.
And the only thing I see in the log is

"DeadLetterActorRef        | Message [akka.camel.internal.ActivationProtocol$EndpointActivated] from
Actor[akka://ClusterServer/user/camel-supervisor/activationTracker#1266577768] to Actor[akka://ClusterServer/deadLetters] was not delivered. ["

From what I gather, the failure seems to happen inside the call to activationFutureFor. [Ideally I should not be even seeing the EndpointActivated message in the log, as its part of the implementation of activationFutureFor]

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Rufus

Johny Rufus

Jul 1, 2016, 11:35:14 AM7/1/16
to Akka User List
I was able to narrow down to a possible timeout, if the timeout happens, I never see the TimeoutException in the log, but it blows away the main thread.
Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Rufus