Akka Camel doesn't work with Scala 2.9.0 RC2

Kahli Burke

Apr 29, 2011, 8:57:26 PM4/29/11
to Akka User List
I saw a that a new RC was out so I updated my project definition to
take it for a spin. Unfortunately there seems to be some compatibility
issue. I think it might be with the JavaConversions, it occurs in the
akka-camel module when appending a Java map to a Scala map:

Here is a short section from a console session:
scala> val cm = new org.apache.camel.impl.DefaultMessage()
cm: org.apache.camel.impl.DefaultMessage = Message: [Body is null]

scala> val cma = new CamelMessageAdapter(cm)
cma: akka.camel.CamelMessageAdapter =
akka.camel.CamelMessageAdapter@f84ebc5

scala> cma.toMessage
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: scala.collection.immutable.MapLike.$plus
$plus(Lscala/collection/TraversableOnce;)Lscala/collection/immutable/
Map;
at akka.camel.CamelMessageAdapter.cmHeaders(Message.scala:364)
at akka.camel.CamelMessageAdapter.toMessage(Message.scala:362)
at akka.camel.CamelMessageAdapter.toMessage(Message.scala:354)
at .<init>(<console>:65)
at .<clinit>(<console>)
at .<init>(<console>:11)
at .<clinit>(<console>)
at $export(<console>)
at
39)
at
25)
at scala.tools.nsc.interpreter.IMain$ReadEvalPrint.call(IMain.scala:
592)
at scala.tools.nsc.interpreter.IMain$Request$$anonfun
$10.apply(IMain.scala:828)
at scala.tools.nsc.interpreter.Line$$anonfun$1.apply$mcV
$sp(Line.scala:43)
at scala.tools.nsc.io.package$$anon$2.run(package.scala:31)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

Just thought I'd document it here in case you guys have a thought
about it. Is it a problem in the RC? I tried to do something really
similar from the console and didn't get an exception, so I'm wondering
if this version of Scala is not binary compatible with the last. I
thought we weren't supposed to be having these sorts of issues going
forward after the 2.8 transition though.

√iktor Ҡlang

Apr 30, 2011, 3:46:23 AM4/30/11
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kahli,

Since 1.1-M1 is released against RC1 this is expected.

We can only upgrade once our Scala dependencies has released versions against the new RC2.

Cheers,

Viktor Klang,
Director of Research and Development
Scalable Solutions

Code:   github.com/viktorklang
Follow: twitter.com/viktorklang
Read:   klangism.tumblr.com

Kahli Burke

May 2, 2011, 5:01:28 PM5/2/11
to Akka User List
Viktor,

Thanks for the reply. I thought that after 2.8 binary compatibility
was going to be maintained and we wouldn't need versions compiled
against specific versions of the scala runtime. I guess there is
something I'm not understanding about the way these RC releases work.
That's for me to sort out :).

Kahli