Akka Stream buffer size monitoring

hbf

Jan 15, 2017, 2:15:15 PM1/15/17
to Akka User List
Hey Akka Stream'ers,

I'm trying to monitor the current size of the buffer of a Akka Stream buffer() stage to something like Grafana.

Is there a way to hook a call to my metrics framework into the buffer? I was hoping for a second parameter to buffer, maybe

    flow.buffer(1000, size => Metrics.gauge("Buffer size", size))

(where Metrics.gauge() is just an example call to a metrics framework).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Hbf

Konrad Malawski

Jan 15, 2017, 2:20:06 PM1/15/17
to akka...@googlegroups.com, hbf
That's something we'll work on at Lightbend in 2017, it's be part of Lightbend/Reactive Monitoring.
As far as I can tell none of the other monitoring tools nowadays can handle such things (neither for akka or any other reactive-streams impl),
we'll get there rather soon I hope since the underlying infrastructure leans itself very well towards instrumentation.

--
Konrad `ktoso` Malawski
Akka @ Lightbend
---

Andreas H. Presthammer

Apr 11, 2020, 2:36:53 PM4/11/20
to Akka User List
Did anything ever happen to this. Was there ever made a mechanism for monitoring a buffer?