Local deathwatch guarantees

Artem Bartashev

Jan 11, 2018, 12:24:46 PM1/11/18
to Akka User List
Hi,

I would like to understand when it is safe to assume that deathwatch messages are always delivered for local actors. Especially I am interested in the parent-child watch.

I have found that DeathWatchNotification is transferred as a system message but later in DeathWatch:watchedActorTerminated() it is sent to self using simple tell. So if an actor has a bounded mailbox then the message may be lost, is it correct?

Are there any other reasons for loosing deathwatch messages?
Is it possible to have strict guarantee for deathwatch at least for the parent-child relation?

Thanks