PhiAccrualFailureDetector Constantly Spamming logs but nodes seem unaffected.

kraythe

Nov 30, 2017, 9:31:58 AM11/30/17
to Akka User List
We are constantly getting messages like this in our logs.

2017-11-30 14:28:31,181 [WARN ] [PhiAccrualFailureDetector] (akka.remote.PhiAccrualFailureDetector@808f8ad) - heartbeat interval is growing too large: 1766 millis

I understand the theory behind this for early detection of node failure but despite that our nodes seem unaffected in response time. So I am wondering a couple of things.

1) Why would the heartbeat be growing at all and how can it be improved?
2) What is considered a bad heartbeat timing.

Thanks a bunch.

Patrik Nordwall

Nov 30, 2017, 10:13:34 AM11/30/17
to akka...@googlegroups.com
One reason could be that you are sending too large messages.

/Patrik
---

Lukas Phaf

Nov 30, 2017, 7:25:44 PM11/30/17
to Akka User List
I have noticed a lot of these as well, while they weren't occurring in the past. The message we are sending are pretty small.

I would have to dig to see if I can find when exactly these started occurring, but if I have to guess, I would say this started happening when we moved from Akka 2.4 tot 2.5.

Lukas

Patrik Nordwall

Dec 1, 2017, 3:24:28 AM12/1/17
to akka...@googlegroups.com
That log message is rather new. It's just a warning, indication that something might be unstable. Logs when the heartbeat interval exceeds half of the acceptable-heartbeat-pause. You can increase acceptable-heartbeat-pause to make it less sensitive.

---

Patrik Nordwall
Akka Tech Lead
Lightbend -  Reactive apps on the JVM
Twitter: @patriknw

kraythe

Dec 1, 2017, 8:41:04 AM12/1/17
to Akka User List
Yeah I didn't see them before 2.5 either. What is weird is they happen when the cluster is doing almost nothing.

-- Robert

Alan Johnson

Mar 28, 2018, 8:45:11 PM3/28/18
to Akka User List
Having just seen this message for the first time, my feedback would be that it's not at all clear what the message pertains to. I'm curious whether anyone's thought there might be some use in attaching reference codes to certain log messages so that it's easy to get context.