[akka-cluster] expected-response-after and acceptable-heartbeat-pause

Jeff

Jun 4, 2015, 6:41:08 PM6/4/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Can somebody enlighten me on how these two settings interact? These two settings seem to overlap.

Thanks
Jeff

Patrik Nordwall

Jun 15, 2015, 10:40:35 AM6/15/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com
expected-response-after is used for starting failure detection when the first heartbeat message is not received as expected, e.g. when connection is broken from the beginning.

acceptable-heartbeat-pause is explained here: http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka/2.3.11/scala/cluster-usage.html#Failure_Detector

/Patrik

---

Patrik Nordwall
Typesafe Reactive apps on the JVM
Twitter: @patriknw

Jeff

Jun 16, 2015, 2:51:03 PM6/16/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com
So if my understanding is correct, expected-response-after and acceptable-heartbeat-pause do the exact same thing, the only difference is when they kick in. expected-response-after is for the first heartbeat, and accetable-heartbeat-pause is for every subsequent heartbeat. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks
Jeff

Patrik Nordwall

Jun 16, 2015, 3:51:56 PM6/16/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 8:51 PM, Jeff <jknigh...@gmail.com> wrote:
So if my understanding is correct, expected-response-after and acceptable-heartbeat-pause do the exact same thing, the only difference is when they kick in. expected-response-after is for the first heartbeat, and accetable-heartbeat-pause is for every subsequent heartbeat. Is my understanding correct?

expected-response-after is added on top of the acceptable-heartbeat-pause for the first heartbeat. Now when we discuss it I can't really find a good motivation for that delay, at least not as long as the default 5 seconds. Perhaps it is a leftover from when we used one-way heartbeating, instead of current request-response hearbeating.

Would you mind creating a github issue and we will investigate if that delay can be removed, or reduced.

Thanks,
Patrik

Jeff

Jun 16, 2015, 3:56:07 PM6/16/15