ANNOUNCE: Akka 2.4.1 Released

Johan Andrén

Nov 27, 2015, 10:31:24 AM11/27/15
to Akka User List

Dear hAkkers,

We—the Akka committers—are pleased to be able to announce the availability of Akka 2.4.1.

This release contains a few important fixes and improvements:

  • Shard region now kills shards more consistently on HandOff
  • An empty shard region now shuts down correctly on graceful shutdown
  • Using the distributed data mode the sharding coordinator updates correctly after leader downing
  • Possibility to provide a custom supervision strategy for the BackOffSupervisor
  • Problem with split brain on cluster startup under some circumstances solved

The complete list of closed tickets can be found in the 2.4.1 github issues milestone.

Akka 2.4.1 is released for Scala 2.11, 2.12.0-M3 and Java 8.

Migrating from Older Relases

When migrating an existing project from Akka 2.3.x please have a look at the migration guide.

Additional Release Details

The artifacts comprising this release have been published to https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/releases/ and also to Maven Central. In addition, we adopted the sbt standard of encoding the Scala binary version in the artifact name, i.e. the core actor package’s artifactId is “akka-actor_2.11”.

Credits

commits added removed
 22    1636     411 Patrik Nordwall
  8     542      57 Konrad Malawski
  7    1418     151 Johan Andrén
  7     246     815 Andrea
  5       9       9 Markus Hauck
  2      57      65 Martynas Mickevičius
  2     580       5 Anton Karamanov
  2      58      11 Roland Kuhn
  2       6       6 kukido
  2       2       2 Jaca777
  2      34       7 Jan Ypma
  1      35       4 Evgeny Shepelyuk
  1      19       1 Nils-Helge Garli Hegvik
  1       3       3 Stefan Wachter
  1      30       7 Heiko Seeberger
  1     903      16 Kailuo Wang
  1       2       2 michaelom
  1     342       9 Henry Mai
  1      33      18 Krzysztof Bochenek
  1       4       4 cheehau.lim
  1      17       4 lolski
  1      14       3 Marcin Sosnicki
  1       7       0 Martin Grotzke
  1     242      14 Endre Sándor Varga
  1     127      21 Michal Lacko
  1      74       3 Ievgenii.Shepeliuk
  1       0       1 Oleg

Happy hAkking!

--

Johan Andrén
Typesafe -  Reactive apps on the JVM

Johan Andrén

Nov 30, 2015, 5:24:02 AM11/30/15
to Akka User List
Turns out we missed out to mention a nice addition that was in the release.

TransparentBackoffSupervisor - A new Supervisor that supports exponential restart back-off semantics for actors regardless of their lifecycle model (the BackoffSupervisor overloads the meaning of self-termination)

The milestone has been amended with the ticket.

--

Johan Andrén
Typesafe -  Reactive apps on the JVM
Twitter: @apnylle

Johan Andrén

Nov 30, 2015, 5:29:05 AM11/30/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com
And that wasn’t quite correct either: The new class is called TransparentExponentialBackoffSupervisor

--
Johan Andrén
Typesafe -  Reactive apps on the JVM
Twitter: @apnylle