New V2 Egg (and a Discount Code)

Dirk Swart

May 13, 2015, 11:29:31 AM5/13/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

We have released our new version 2 of the Air Quality Egg. To say thank you for all your feedback and support, for a 20% discount on the new egg use coupon 'aqelist' (expires 11:59pm May 14th).

Here's the new egg: http://shop.wickeddevice.com/product/air-quality-egg-v2-co-no2/

Unlike the V1 egg, each sensor is calibrated and zeroed in our 'zero air' chamber.

Some features:
  • Still 100% committed to Open Source
  • Wireless. That means there is just one egg with the sensors, which reports directly via Wi-Fi.
  • LCD screen on the egg, so you can see readings in real time. Reports temperature (in degrees), humidity (%), carbon monoxide (parts per million) and nitrogen dioxide (parts per billion).
  • USB powered. Any (we suggest at least 500mA) Micro-USB phone charger works, and we provide a 2.1A supply in the box.
  • New sensors. All new, more accurate gas sensors.
  • Sensors are calibrated at the sensor factory (Spec-Sensors). We also individually test and zero each sensor in our ‘zero air’ chamber.
  • Software implements temperature compensation formula per Spec-Sensors recommendations.
  • Much more accurate temperature and humidity sensors (SHT25).
  • Data is stored at OpenSensors.io, who are committed to keeping data open and free.
  • Software updates over-the-air, so that as we find ways to make improvements in software you get those benefits by simply restarting your Egg.
  • More robust software and hardware ensuring high availability / up-time.
  • Hidden ‘touch zone’ capacitive switch turns on the LCD backlight.
  • Samples every 5 seconds (instead of every 2 minutes).
  • Made in Ithaca, New York.

Cheers

Dirk

co-founder: Wicked Device LLC

Pieter B

May 29, 2015, 4:20:55 PM5/29/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
These specs look cool. Unfortunately I missed the coupon and just bought an AirBeam and TZOA (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tzoa-wearable-enviro-tracker/x/8100088#/story ).

Can I see the results of these V2 egg's on a Google map similar to http://airqualityegg.com/ ?

Pieter B

May 29, 2015, 4:36:10 PM5/29/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Your link does not work. I assume you mean:
http://shop.wickeddevice.com/product/air-quality-egg-v2-pre-order/

I just watched your video and found some V2 egg's http://airqualityegg.com/

Victor Aprea

May 29, 2015, 6:29:17 PM5/29/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com

Pieter,

Yes your link is correct and the original is indeed broken. I think we should re-extend the coupon in light of that revelation. I'll post back when it's up. Thanks for letting us know!

Cheers,
Vic

Your link does not work. I assume you mean:
http://shop.wickeddevice.com/product/air-quality-egg-v2-pre-order/

I just watched your video and found some V2 egg's http://airqualityegg.com/

Victor Aprea

May 29, 2015, 6:54:30 PM5/29/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've gone ahead and made the coupon expire on 2015-06-02. It's applied at checkout and the code is aqelist. Have a great weekend!

Cheers,
Vic

Victor Aprea // Wicked Device

Daniel Nüst

Jun 1, 2015, 4:34:57 AM6/1/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vic!

Maybe you recall my name, Daniel Nüst from the Institute for
Geoinformatics in Münster. We had quite some email exchange over the
last years, mainly around a lot of eggs that you shipped to us for a
workshop and we eventually shipped back.

I never heard if our shipment eventually reached you. My last
information was that you'd see if you can still do something with the
parts we sent you.

Anyways, against better judgement I'm still interested in the v2 version
of the egg. Will it be possible to upgrade v2 to v2.x with newer sensors?

/Daniel

Am 30/05/2015 um 00:53 schrieb Victor Aprea:
> OK, I've gone ahead and made the coupon expire on 2015-06-02. It's
> applied at checkout and the code is *aqelist*. Have a great weekend!

> Victor Aprea // Wicked Device
> victor...@wickeddevice.com <mailto:victor...@wickeddevice.com>
> T: @vicatcu <http://twitter.com/vicatcu/>
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Victor Aprea
> <victor...@wickeddevice.com <mailto:victor...@wickeddevice.com>>
> wrote:
>
> Pieter,
>
> Yes your link is correct and the original is indeed broken. I think
> we should re-extend the coupon in light of that revelation. I'll
> post back when it's up. Thanks for letting us know!
>
> Cheers,
> Vic
>
> Your link does not work. I assume you mean:
> http://shop.wickeddevice.com/product/air-quality-egg-v2-pre-order/
>
> I just watched your video and found some V2 egg's
> http://airqualityegg.com/
>
> --
>

> --

Daniel Nüst
52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
48155 Münster, Germany
E-Mail: d.n...@52north.org
Fon: +49-(0)-251–396371-36
Fax: +49-(0)-251–396371-11

http://52north.org/
Twitter: @FiveTwoN

General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk
Local Court Muenster HRB 10849

Pieter B

Jun 1, 2015, 8:04:02 AM6/1/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Does the AQE v2 also support to give measuresments on a serial connection to the USB-interface, similar to the AirBeam. The Airbeam emits all readings to USB and the measurements can be viewed in the Serial Monitor of the Arduino IDE.

I would like to attach the AQE to a rasberry pi instead of a cloud service. My wifi is not always on.

Victor Aprea

Jun 1, 2015, 10:10:10 AM6/1/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Daniel,

Of course I remember you, hope you are doing well! We have certainly learned a great deal in the last few years, and I hope we can regain your confidence with the new Egg. The fact the sensors are factory calibrated alone is a major step forward, I think, and there are a number of other important new features that are available and that we're working on as well.

I'm not sure I completely understand your question "Will it be possible to upgrade v2 to v2.x with newer sensors?" We still have a modular hardware concept, so that the processor and network connectivity is on a separate physical board than the sensor technology, so one could certainly in principle separately replace the sensor subsystem, but I don't envision that as being a common occurrence(?). If the sensors change in the future, depending on the nature of that change, the software may need to change along with the hardware, but I think the "upgrade path" will be manageable in that case. Basically we'll have a number of hardware baselines and software baselines that go with them. I don't know if I've answered your question, so please let me know and I'll take another crack at it if necessary.

Kind Regards,
Vic

Victor Aprea // Wicked Device
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to airqualityeg...@googlegroups.com.

Victor Aprea

Jun 1, 2015, 10:19:03 AM6/1/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Pieter,

The short answer is yes, the sensor reports that go out to the internet are also reported to the Serial Monitor in a CSV line, interspersed with other diagnostic information (prefixed by "csv: "), so capturing Serial logs it's pretty easy to post-process them using a script to pull out the csv lines. So that's already implemented in the current baseline, and I can probably whip up a Python script pretty quickly that converts a Serial log capture to a CSV file if that's something that interests people.

Separately, we're working on an offline mode of operation so that the Egg can be used in a network-less data logging capacity (e.g. storing data to an internal microSD card) configuration. I'm thinking we would offer an add-on package option to include an  RTC module and microSD card to support this mode of operation. And the console interface would have support for downloading the logged data over USB so you wouldn't have to remove the microSD card.

What do you think?

Kind Regards,
Vic

Victor Aprea // Wicked Device

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 8:04 AM, Pieter B <pie...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does the AQE v2 also support to give measuresments on a serial connection to the USB-interface, similar to the AirBeam. The Airbeam emits all readings to USB and the measurements can be viewed in the Serial Monitor of the Arduino IDE.

I would like to attach the AQE to a rasberry pi instead of a cloud service. My wifi is not always on.

Pieter B

Jun 1, 2015, 4:15:30 PM6/1/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Vic,

Filtering out the csv option is fine by me. I've got a raspberry pi available, so I would not be interested in a RTC / microsd feature in the AQE.

I tried to order the device, but the coupon gave me a $20 discount, instead of a 20% discount (=$48 ).

Pieter

Victor Aprea

Jun 1, 2015, 4:22:00 PM6/1/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Pieter,

Argh! Sorry, lets see if I got it right this time.

Kind Regards,
Vic

Victor Aprea // Wicked Device

Pieter B

Jun 1, 2015, 4:42:36 PM6/1/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Worked for me. I ordered one. I hope it won't be at the dutch customs for a month with the USPS shipment just like the AirBeam.