Does it matter if updates are intermittent?

Eleanor Mitchiner

Mar 9, 2015, 5:27:26 AM3/9/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Just got our #Airquality egg and set it up couple of days ago. The drone egg (outside) seems to communicate with the base egg only intermittently ie. up to 10 hours apart. Does this matter in terms of data collected? It is quite far away but well within the communication zone.
Thanks

Victor Aprea

Mar 9, 2015, 10:14:19 AM3/9/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Eleanor,

Insofar as the data that gets reported by the Egg is currently point-sampled (not continuously averaged over several hours or something like that), I think it matters. It sounds like you are operating at the hairy edge of the radio range and only occasionally are your sensor reports getting through.

If possible, get your Base Egg closer to your Remote Egg, e.g. using a longer Ethernet cable to your router, or relocate your Remote Egg to be closer to your Base Egg.

Kind Regards,
Vic

Victor Aprea // Wicked Device

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 5:27 AM, Eleanor Mitchiner <mrsel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just got our #Airquality egg and set it up couple of days ago.  The drone egg (outside) seems to communicate with the base egg only intermittently ie. up to 10 hours apart.  Does this matter in terms of data collected?  It is quite far away but well within the communication zone.
Thanks

Eleanor Mitchiner

Mar 9, 2015, 10:29:58 AM3/9/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Victor,

So it would be best to put the egg back in a less polluted place as the communication will be more frequent? (can't get the base egg closer in current configuration)

Thanks

Eleanor

Eleanor Mitchiner
7 Deepdene Rd
SE5 8EG

020 7733 7381
07944 773 941

Victor Aprea

Mar 9, 2015, 11:13:29 AM3/9/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Eleanor,

The first choice, I think, would be to use a longer Ethernet cable. Maybe someone else has another suggestion.

Kind Regards,
Vic

Victor Aprea // Wicked Device

John Magda

Mar 22, 2015, 8:05:50 AM3/22/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com

I have had great success with using a wireless bridge, once configured using a pc, It will use the wireless signal. It has a ethernet rj45 out. Runs on 5v or usb.  Cost was 30.00 US dollars. Or I am sure cheaper online.   It would allow the base egg to free stand, maybe closer to the remote egg.