We just launched TZOA the world's first enviro-tracker

Laura Moe

Nov 18, 2014, 12:00:48 PM11/18/14
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Check it out !
Following in the footsteps of AirBeam's success.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tzoa/meet-tzoa-the-worlds-first-enviro-tracker
Cheers.

Michael Heimbinder

Nov 18, 2014, 12:22:18 PM11/18/14
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations Laura. It's a neat looking device. I'd love to learn more about it's accuracy and precision. Do you have performance data to share?

-Michael-

Laura Moe

Nov 24, 2014, 3:37:39 PM11/24/14
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael, sorry for the delay.
Congrats on successfully funding the AirBeam!
Check out this video here where we do a rough sensor comparison against the Dylos (raw data): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tzoa/meet-tzoa-the-worlds-first-enviro-tracker/posts/1060874

We'll be furthering development and releasing more performance data as we go.
Happy to answer any questions.
Cheers!

Michael Heimbinder

Dec 1, 2014, 11:22:33 AM12/1/14
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
The video doesn't provide any useful information on the performance of the Tzoa's particulate sensor. Can you provide time series and statistical data?

-Michael-

Dirk Swart

Dec 1, 2014, 11:28:29 AM12/1/14
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Michael, are you actually going to do something with that information? If so, please can you share what/your planned approach with the rest of us?

Thanks
Dirk

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Michael Heimbinder <mheim...@gmail.com> wrote:
The video doesn't provide any useful information on the performance of the Tzoa's particulate sensor. Can you provide time series and statistical data?

-Michael-

Michael Heimbinder

Dec 1, 2014, 11:38:20 AM12/1/14
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dirk.  If the Tzoa works as advertised, i.e. able to differentiate particles sizes and accurately measure both PM2.5 and PM10, then I would like to purchase a Tzoa and recommend it to my colleagues.  In addition, since the AirCasting platform is open source and we have an API for connecting sense instruments, it may be possible to connect the Tzoa to the AirCasting app.  But I'm only interested in air quality instruments whose precision and accuracy have been characterized.  We evaluated the AirBeam prior offering it through Kickstarter so that folks would know what they we're backing, see http://www.takingspace.org/airbeam-technical-specifications-operation-performance/.  Without this type of data it's impossible to know what one is buying or supporting.

-Michael-

Laura Moe

Dec 1, 2014, 1:47:53 PM12/1/14
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael, thanks for the question.
As you may know, we have built our own sensor, meaning we can modify an array of factors + aren't limited to the constraints of using a commercially available sensor. That said, we are still a few months of writing firmware away from finish our program which counts and sizes particles. The good news is that:
1) We are using proven effective technology
2) The video demonstrates that we are seeing similar raw data to reference devices
3) Tzoa has the ability to push out over-the-air firmware updates to our users as we perfect our sensing algorithms.
4) We are working with a number of reputable individuals, organizations, and government bodies (including the EPA) to evaluate and improve our sensor accuracy.

Our goal is to build an accurate particle counter, and there's nothing preventing us from doing that except for time and money, which we are asking for on Kickstarter.
Regards.

Walter

Dec 2, 2014, 1:05:37 PM12/2/14
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
I'll have to echo Michael's comments in that it would be extremely helpful to see some sampling statistics (even simple regressions against a reference instrument) to give us some information regarding the quality of the measurement.

Also, for what it's worth, I'd much rather see groups using time-tested cyclones or impactors (even virtual impactors like the Sharp instrument) to size segregate aerosols rather than relying on optical algorithms to differentiate PM sizes. Just something to consider in future designs.

Pieter B

May 29, 2015, 4:10:35 PM5/29/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
They did a relaunch of their campaign. This time on Indiegogo,
see https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tzoa-wearable-enviro-tracker/x/8100088#/story

They use a PM2.5 and PM10 sensor that they developed themselves from scratch. They are calibrated and so far they are seeing a .92 r-squared value when compared to a TSI DRX device over a 16 hour period.

See if they manage to get funded this time. There are still 93 TZOA Enviro-Trackers available for a $99 price (+shipping).

They seem to be more closed source than AirBeam and/or AQE, but the device looks cool and small.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tzoa-wearable-enviro-tracker/x/8100088#/story