Calibrating the Shinyei PPD sensors

anirudh uppal

Sep 15, 2014, 2:41:46 AM9/15/14
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I have been using the AQE on and off for a couple of years, but recently have been working with the Shinyei PPD42NS and the PPD60PV-T2 sensors and trying to measure them and calibrate against a PM2.5 instrument (Shinyei AES-1, also called PMS-1).

I found that the addition of an air-tight fan helps the T2 give a much better response. I tried many fans in many configs before I found a way to attach the fan directly to the sensor that gave the better response. I've captured some of the results on my web page today:
http://indiaairquality.com/2014/09/14/calibrating-the-shinyei-ppd-sensors-part-1/

I will add the AES comparison in a few days when I get a break from homework. I am a freshman high school student and welcome all your comments and criticisms!

Thanks,

AJ

Mathew Lippincott

Sep 16, 2014, 6:28:54 PM9/16/14
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
The Speck from CMU uses a Syhitech sensor that is almost identical to the Shinyei. YOu can see there enclosure and fan for it here:
http://publiclab.org/notes/mathew/06-04-2014/two-weeks-with-a-speck

anirudh uppal

Sep 18, 2014, 12:15:18 AM9/18/14
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mathew! The design looks very clean.
By any chance did the Speck do measurements w/o the fan ?

AJ

anirudh uppal

Sep 18, 2014, 12:16:24 AM9/18/14
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
I just posted Part 2 with the calibration against the Shinyei AES-1.
http://indiaairquality.com/2014/09/15/calibrating-the-shinyei-ppd-sensors-part-2/

thx,

AJ

anirudh uppal

Sep 29, 2014, 2:45:36 PM9/29/14
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

A couple of folks asked how I added the fan, so I posted this on the blog at:

http://indiaairquality.com/2014/09/28/building-pickle-the-networked-pm2-5-monitor-part-1/

I am wondering if I should post to publiclab.org ? I became aware of this from the Speck postings that Mathew Lippincott mentioned.

AJ

Message has been deleted

Michael Heimbinder

May 16, 2015, 3:56:40 PM5/16/15
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Thought some folks might be interested in more info regarding the AirBeam evaluation HabitatMap conducted in partnership with NYU School of Medicine (http://www.takingspace.org/airbeam-technical-specifications-operation-performance/). The AirBeam integrates a Shinyei PPD60PV dust sensor to make PM2.5 measurements. The heavy lifting on the evaluation was done by a graduate student by the name of Alex Besser. His thesis can be downloaded from Dropbox here (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29720355/Besser%20Thesis%20FINAL.pdf). It includes a discussion of how we convert the PM2.5 measurements from hundreds of particles per cubic foot to micrograms per cubic meter.

We shipped our AirBeam Kickstarter units (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/741031201/airbeam-share-and-improve-your-air/description) more than a month ahead of schedule. AirBeams are now available for sale. To purchase AirBeams, click on this link (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JfoY8HfDPlV7x9_6qb_TpOefK8qxMCURbnVPHPqAtp4/viewform) and complete and submit the "AirBeam Purchase Order Form".

-Michael-