Resetting the Egg

Michael Hansen

Apr 18, 2016, 5:10:45 PM4/18/16
to #AirQualityEgg
Hi-

I'm trying to connect my egg to a new computer and different wireless network than the one we used to initially run it. I've got the Arduino running but it keeps getting hung up on "Found Access Point [old wireless name] Not Found." This is of course because I'm attempting to "reset" the egg by connecting to my new computer on a different wireless network. How do I get around this? I didn't see anything in the user guide about it and tried searching previous topics here as well as FAQs on the Wicked Device Website.

Victor Aprea

Apr 18, 2016, 5:33:55 PM4/18/16
to #AirQualityEgg

Michael,

Start by running the command "restore defaults" and everything should go according to plan after that. Let me know if you run into difficulties.

Cheers,
Vic

On Apr 18, 2016 5:10 PM, "Michael Hansen" <mic...@gaspgroup.org> wrote:
Hi-

I'm trying to connect my egg to a new computer and different wireless network than the one we used to initially run it. I've got the Arduino running but it keeps getting hung up on "Found Access Point [old wireless name] Not Found." This is of course because I'm attempting to "reset" the egg by connecting to my new computer on a different wireless network. How do I get around this? I didn't see anything in the user guide about it and tried searching previous topics here as well as FAQs on the Wicked Device Website.

Michael Hansen

Apr 18, 2016, 5:50:37 PM4/18/16
to #AirQualityEgg
Thanks Vic. I'll give that a try. Where do I enter that? This is what I'm guessing but would rather be sure before I start fooling around...
Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 4.49.56 PM.png

Victor Aprea

Apr 18, 2016, 6:06:38 PM4/18/16
to #AirQualityEgg

Michael,

When you start the egg up with a serial terminal connected(e.g. at the bottom of airqualityegg.com, or using PuTTY, or Arduino, or whatever)l, type "aqe" and press <enter> to engage configuration mode. Then at the "AQE>:" prompt is where you type "restore defaults" then "ssid your-network-name", then "pwd your-network-password", then "exit" and watch the terminal output or LCD screen to make sure it connects successfully to your new network. It's the same thing you did when you first connected to a network, but start with the command "restore defaults."

Does that make sense?

Kind Regards,

Vic

P.S. I'm going to work on seeing if we can't somehow move some of this config stuff into a phone app in the future. I think it should be possible with some firmware support.

Michael Hansen

Apr 18, 2016, 7:25:14 PM4/18/16
to #AirQualityEgg
That makes perfect sense. I used the terminal on airqualityegg.com. I was able to do all of that ... but then when I tried to enter the new ssid and pwd, it's saying "Found Access Point "<BHNTG1672G8562>", Not Found." It's bizarre. The ssid is correct and it's the network my laptop is connected to.

This is what I'm getting:

Compiled on: Dec 2 2015 16:28:42
Egg Serial Number: egg008028c021880152

Info: Tiny Watchdog Initialization...OK.
Info: Slot Select Pins Initialization...OK.
Info: SPI Flash Initialization...OK.
Info: SD Card Initialization...Fail.
Info: Current firmware signature: 306800 28891
Info: SHT25 Initialization...OK.
Info: RTC Initialization...Fail.
Info: ESP8266 Initialization...OK.
Info: Startup config integrity check passed, but mirrored config differs, attempting to restore from mirrored configuration.
Error: Mirrored configuration is not valid, cannot restore to last valid configuration.
Enter 'aqe' for CONFIG mode.
OPERATIONAL mode automatically begins after 12 secs of no input.
11...10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...0...
-~=* In OPERATIONAL Mode *=~-
Info: Beginning Network Scan...
Info: Network Scan found 14 networks
Info: Found Access Point "<BHNTG1672G8562>", Not Found.
Info: Connecting to Access Point with SSID "<BHNTG1672G8562>"...

Michael Hansen

Apr 18, 2016, 7:33:29 PM4/18/16
to #AirQualityEgg
Never mind. I feel like an idiot. I just realized I didn't need the brackets. Duh. Now it's connecting. :)

Victor Aprea

Apr 18, 2016, 7:51:02 PM4/18/16
to #AirQualityEgg
Michael,

No sweat, glad you got it figured out. I guess the manual might be a little bit misleading, don't feel bad!

For anyone else who might be reading, the manual says to type:

ssid <Your network name> <Enter>

... as an example, that means if my network is called MyInternet, then you should type the phrase "ssid MyInternet" and then hit the Enter key.

Kind Regards,
Vic

Victor Aprea // Wicked Device

Chris Carman

May 18, 2016, 8:54:21 PM5/18/16
to #AirQualityEgg
I'm having the same problem with two of the four eggs I bought for our school district in Kent, Ohio. I've tried connecting to our district guest wifi (KCSD.GUEST), which is open and has no password, our district tech support wifi, which is hidden and has a password, and my home wifi, which is visible but has a password. I've followed the directions in the manual on both devices and also used the restore defaults command, but I still get the strange "SCANNING WIFI", "WIFI NOT FOUND :(" message. Any thoughts? I spent nearly a thousand dollars on these with a grant given to me by a local environmental group and they're wondering why they're not online in our elementary schools yet. Thanks!
-Chris

Victor Aprea

May 19, 2016, 8:24:35 AM5/19/16
to #AirQualityEgg

Chris,

I'm sorry for your frustrations.  If you are available for a phone call / screen sharing session later today or tomorrow, I would be happy to help get you up and connected.  Please email me off-list to set something up.

Kind Regards,
Vic

On May 18, 2016 8:54 PM, "Chris Carman" <ke_cc...@kent.k12.oh.us> wrote:
I'm having the same problem with two of the four eggs I bought for our school district in Kent, Ohio.  I've tried connecting to our district guest wifi (KCSD.GUEST), which is open and has no password, our district tech support wifi, which is hidden and has a password, and my home wifi, which is visible but has a password.  I've followed the directions in the manual on both devices and also used the restore defaults command, but I still get the strange "SCANNING WIFI", "WIFI NOT FOUND :(" message.  Any thoughts?  I spent nearly a thousand dollars on these with a grant given to me by a local environmental group and they're wondering why they're not online in our elementary schools yet.  Thanks!
-Chris

Chris Carman

May 19, 2016, 10:39:59 PM5/19/16
to #AirQualityEgg
First of all, I'd like to publicly thank Victor Aprea for spending an hour with me on Skype after school today to figure out what was going wrong with getting our eggs going.

I think the issue lies with using the Codebender plugin on Firefox on a Mac. When I used the plugin on Firefox on my Mac, it couldn't find the wifi network. When I used the plugin on Chrome on my Mac, everything worked fine. Also, when I used the Arduino app's serial monitor, everything worked fine. I was eventually able to get all four of my eggs to connect to wifi by using the Arduino serial monitor.

For now, I would recommend that Mac users avoid configuring their eggs with Firefox and use Chrome + Codebender or the Arduino app's serial monitor instead.
-Chris