Solar Powering the AQE sensor module.

Christopher R Souser

Aug 5, 2014, 2:34:12 AM8/5/14
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
I am curious if anyone has successfully solar powered their AQE under mediocre light conditions or under any circumstance really and what equipment you have used. I find the external block power unit and barely shielded cable appalling in the first place for outdoor use.. but also where I'd ideally like to place the unit doesn't have immediately available power. So I am looking for a solar solution (with basic batter preferably as well) that would power the Air Quality Egg 24/7/365 including long periods of cloudy weather and able to recharge itself fully in under 6 hours.

It seems like the most power consuming thing on the sensor is the fan, is that necessary for anything other than cooling and / or the VOC or Dust sensor (and is it even required for them)?

In this other thread mentioning power packs they mentioned the following facts:
The 5v regulator is an ST LD1117DT50CTR
"I think about 6.2 to 15 volts should work... "
"if you were to attempt this, it would be 7.5 - 9v @1000mA "
"so long as the input voltage stays over about 6v"

Referenced Thread: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/airqualityegg/Solar/airqualityegg/fwOy2F2u97Y/F_Rof_mxLZwJ

Christopher

Dirk Swart

Aug 5, 2014, 9:19:24 AM8/5/14
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christopher,

I've powered it using the Voltaic System 18W. Their approach is to use the solar cells to charge a battery, and then use the battery to charge whatever it is. With that approach, solar is just another method of getting power, and you could use a wall plug or 12v car unit (both are included in the kit they sell, as are a ton of barrel connectors). Another method would be to use the solar cells to power the unit directly, but I have not tried that method.

The fan is mostly there to provide a constant, known airflow. It does provide some cooling, but that is not it's main purpose.

Mike Barnett at Boston College was doing some work on solar powering the eggs - you might check in with him too.

Cheers
Dirk

Christopher