v1 / Kickstarter Eggs

Luis Fraguada

Jan 5, 2018, 2:08:05 AM1/5/18
to #AirQualityEgg
Cross posting from https://help.wickeddevice.com/t/kickstarter-eggs/299/2

Thanks to the hint by @vicatcu here:https://help.wickeddevice.com/t/claim-code-for-eggs/289/6, I was able to get my long dormant eggs online again. The key was finding a system that could accept http requests since the Arduino / Nanode doesn’t have the resources to make an https request.

Adafruit io does allow http requests and was relatively easy to set up. I created a free account (up to 10 feeds, 5 dashboards, 60 calls / minute, 30 day storage) and a feed for each sensor (Temperature, Humidity, CO, NO2, and Dust).

Next was modifying the firmware for the eggs. I forked the v1 repository in order to track changes in my own repo: https://github.com/fraguada/Air-Quality-Egg. First I decided to leave the remote egg alone for now and focus on the base. I played around with the EtherCard Library examples and eventually was getting successful gets and posts with the adafruit io api. I made a copy of the AQEBase sketch and went through commenting out parts until I got to the call to postSensorData() method. I made a postSensorDataToAOI() method that checked the sensor type and set up the feed accordingly. The code I ended up with is really nasty, but it is working. I hope to clean it up soon.

Glad to get this thing back online. If anyone has a v1 ‘kickstarter’ egg that they want to try and get back online, let me know.

Big thanks to Wicked Devices and especially @vicatcu for writing such nice arduino code. It was really easy to follow and find where to modify things.

Axel Roest

Apr 10, 2018, 4:38:53 PM4/10/18
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luis, Thanks. I also have a kickstarter egg and gave up to connect it to anything after Pachube, Xively, LogMeIn and now Google seemed to have mislaid the live feeds. I hope to look at your code this weekend and see if I can fire it up again.
I can remember the setup was flaky and needed regular reboots because of the ethernet library. I hope that is fixed now.

Meanwhile I did tons of stuff with ESP8266 and other sensors, but the AQE still has a special place in my heart.

Victor Aprea

Apr 10, 2018, 6:02:39 PM4/10/18
to #AirQualityEgg
Axel,

That cheers me up to hear you say :-). I don't know if you've kept up, but the current generation of Egg hardware actually uses an ESP8266 for its Wi-Fi connection, and I've stood up our own back-end MQTT data collection endpoint as well. It's super cool that people are able to breathe new life into the original Egg hardware.

Cheers,
Vic

Victor Aprea // Wicked Device