New Member and Raspberry PI Cluster

Bill Heitzeg

Aug 11, 2015, 9:09:50 AM8/11/15
to The AHA! Shop
Hi,

I'm a new member along with my niece Tai.  We've been coming down for a few months now.  This past Saturday we got together with Larry and he setup us up with keys.

I'm originally an Electrical Engineer, but since the early 90's (1990s) I've been writing software.  I've done quite a bit lately NodeJS and with several "Big Data" solutions.

Tai is an MSU Civil Engineering student who will graduate in the spring.  She damn sharp and is picking up hardware and software at an alarming pace.

We would like to help however we can, but Larry suggested that initially some of you might be interested in some help building a Raspberry PI Cluster.  I would love to be involved if this is still an ongoing project.  If you already have too many cooks in the kitchen, no worries.

Please feel free to reach out if you need some help with software related issues.  We're planning to spend Thursdays down at AHA if you want to talk face to face.

thanks,

Bill

demuredemeanor

Aug 12, 2015, 10:10:55 PM8/12/15
to The AHA! Shop
Hey, we've mostly been talking about this on IRC (freenode, #allhandsactive).
Mostly it has been narwh4l, zebs, and myself talking about it.

Michael Grube

Aug 13, 2015, 10:39:55 AM8/13/15
to aha...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bill,

Welcome aboard!

Currently what we need more than anything for the Pi cluster is funding. We currently have $0 toward our goal so that is the best way to help.

There probably are not too many cooks in the kitchen as of now. We would appreciate any help you can lend.

The gofundme is located here:
http://www.gofundme.com/ys8r7fm4m

As demure pointed out, the IRC room is the best place for us to coordinate.

Thanks!
Mike

On Aug 12, 2015 10:10 PM, "demuredemeanor" <demured...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey, we've mostly been talking about this on IRC (freenode, #allhandsactive).
Mostly it has been narwh4l, zebs, and myself talking about it.

Larry Works

Aug 13, 2015, 12:10:14 PM8/13/15
to AHA

Hey Bill,

I seem to remember you telling me you have experience with HPC.  Cant rember where.  Perhaps you can share a little about what that is/was.

For folks who don't know, we're talking Supercomputers!  So unless you were lucky enough to have exerience within an enterprise or university setting, here's a good place to start learning.

http://insidehpc.com/hpc-basic-training/what-is-hpc/

I'm curious, besides educating people, what could AHA do on an HPC clusters.  The sky's the limit.

Cheers.
Larry

Bill Heitzeg

Aug 13, 2015, 5:18:11 PM8/13/15
to aha...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Demure, Mike and Larry,

I will get setup with the IRC.  I've played around with Map-Reduce (mapreduce-js, hadoop, and AWS EMR) and I did a pretty big project with Pentaho.  I'm off on vacation for the next week, but let's catch up the week after.

thanks!

Bill

Bill Heitzeg
Karma Open Health