CNC Training

Daryl Patrick

Feb 15, 2015, 12:59:09 PM2/15/15
to aha...@googlegroups.com
I am interested in training for the CNC machine.  If you can help, please contact me.

Tyler Worman

Feb 15, 2015, 1:35:12 PM2/15/15
to aha...@googlegroups.com
I can do the training. What times/day are best for you? We'd need to plan about 2 weeks out.

    - Tyler

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 12:59 PM, Daryl Patrick <dpatr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am interested in training for the CNC machine.  If you can help, please contact me.

Tyler Worman

Feb 15, 2015, 1:38:07 PM2/15/15
to aha...@googlegroups.com
If anyone else is interested in being trained, chime in here. I'd rather train many at once.

Leif Burrow

Feb 17, 2015, 12:15:13 PM2/17/15
to aha...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested! I could make it there by about 6:30 if I really push it coming from work on a weekday. If it's on a weekend day I will have to negotiate with my family but I will try to make it work!

Daryl Patrick

Feb 17, 2015, 1:48:18 PM2/17/15
to aha...@googlegroups.com
Tyler,

Does Thursday March 5th work for you?  That is 2 weeks out...  We could do 7:00p to accommodate Larry.  I have a son that may be interested in taking the class as well.  Let me know if this works for you.  If not, please propose an alternate date.  My wedding anniversary in on March 6th, so that day is out for sure.  I can do just about any other day of the week with enough notice.

Best Regards,
Daryl Patrick

Daryl Patrick

Feb 17, 2015, 1:48:59 PM2/17/15
to aha...@googlegroups.com
Oops, meant Leif.

Tyler Worman

Feb 17, 2015, 2:44:24 PM2/17/15
to aha...@googlegroups.com
March 5th might work, if everyone can make it. Let me try to move some stuff around on my schedule and if it works, I'll let you know in the next day. If not, I suggest March 1st or 12th time is up to you. I'm free.

Larry's videos are good. Our software is way different in part 2/3 but the ideas are the same. You can do modeling anywhere you like, but you need to get your models to GCode that our control software can understand.

In video two he uses CamBam to create the tool paths. We have an integrated design/cam program that I purchased called VCarve/Cut3D. It's licensed for use on the CNC machine in the back. You can download a demo if you want to use it at home.

VCarve does 2D Modeling and GCode generation. It can import 2D vector files from various other packages if you care to design there.
Cut3D does GCode generation for 3D models that you provide from another software package in STL format.

You can use Cam Bam or other CAM software if you like, but I can't support it. VCarve/Cut3D packages already have our end-mills configured so they are ready to go.

Machine control is done with Mach3. I purchased a license and it's installed on the CNC control machine. Mach3 is a pretty standard piece of software found with commercial machines. We can't easily change this software as our USB interface to the machine only has Mach3 drivers available. I'll explain why during the class!

You can catch a glimpse of our machine in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHokqxn2dd4

      - Tyler

Leif Burrow

Feb 17, 2015, 4:11:02 PM2/17/15
to aha...@googlegroups.com
If March 5th works for everyone else I will be there!

Daryl Patrick

Feb 17, 2015, 8:14:32 PM2/17/15
to aha...@googlegroups.com
Great news.  If the 5th doesn't work.  I think I could make the March 1st (afternoon) work.  Sounds like Leif may have some availability problems on the weekend.  But I will not put words in his mouth.  I have been playing with Cut3D a little exporting .stl from Catia.  I think I have a basic understanding of how it works, just need to understand the "black magic" portion for the machine and software.  Looking forward to taking the class.

Best Regards,
Daryl Patrick

Leif Burrow

Feb 18, 2015, 10:44:30 AM2/18/15
to aha...@googlegroups.com
I'm not necessarily unavailable on the weekend.  I just know my weekday schedule better.  To the best of my knowlege March 1st would also be just fine for me. Either way I'm looking forward to it as well!

Tyler Worman

Feb 19, 2015, 10:51:16 AM2/19/15
to aha...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the late response. Unable to move one of my plans for the 5th.

Let's aim for March 1st at 1:00 pm. Does that work for everyone? I'll create a sample job before then and we'll work from that.

Larry Works

Feb 19, 2015, 11:47:04 AM2/19/15
to AHA

Works for me :-)