Hackerspaces and VPNs?

Edward L Platt

Oct 16, 2017, 5:18:57 PM10/16/17
to Hackerspaces General Discussion List, i3detroi...@googlegroups.com, aha...@googlegroups.com
Given the WPA2 vulnerability released today and the continuing erosion of privacy regulations in the US, I'm wondering if any hackerspaces are thinking about providing VPNs for their members. Seems like it might be a good fit.

-Ed

--
Edward L. Platt
https://elplatt.com | @elplatt | elp...@octodon.social

Tips for stopping email overload: https://hbr.org/2012/02/stop-email-overload-1

Michael Grube

Oct 16, 2017, 7:30:46 PM10/16/17
to aha...@googlegroups.com
I really kind of think a VPN is both overkill and represents a lot of its own risks. Given also that WPA2-PSK was already crackable by aircrack-ng, not much has really changed. I would not de facto assume privacy at a hackerspace unless you're using ssl.

A properly configured website should be able to detect mitm ssl sniffing anyway.

Michael Grube

Oct 16, 2017, 7:34:17 PM10/16/17
to aha...@googlegroups.com
Further, simply updating your WiFi drivers should make the KRACK issue irrelevant.

demuredemeanor

Oct 16, 2017, 7:36:11 PM10/16/17
to aha...@googlegroups.com

Michael Grube

Oct 16, 2017, 7:38:45 PM10/16/17
to aha...@googlegroups.com
Ubiquiti has already released a patch. It's a matter of updating.

Michael Grube

Oct 16, 2017, 7:50:26 PM10/16/17
to aha...@googlegroups.com
For people who are worried about it, I'd suggest using HTTPS everywhere until we can confirm our router firmware is updated. HTTPS everywhere is easy to use, free and will protect your web traffic. Actually, it's good to use when connecting to any public network.