We brought home some hardware today! Pinewood derby!

瀏覽次數:32 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Daryl Patrick

未讀,
2015年3月14日 下午6:57:302015/3/14
收件者:aha...@googlegroups.com

My kids raced in the Awana Grand Prix (Pinewood Derby) this afternoon.  Both won Grand Champion for their groups (boys & girls). Our average margin of victory was about .08 seconds. We turned in our fastest time yet at 2.4557 seconds. We raced the cars head to head after the event for in house bragging rights.  The difference at the finish line was about 2 inches (non timed).

Larry Works

未讀,
2015年3月14日 晚上7:26:182015/3/14
收件者:AHA

Congratulations!

Just one question...in head to head competition, which car was fastest?

Larry

My kids raced in the Awana Grand Prix (Pinewood Derby) this afternoon.  Both won Grand Champion for their groups (boys & girls). Our average margin of victory was about .08 seconds. We turned in our fastest time yet at 2.4557 seconds. We raced the cars head to head after the event for in house bragging rights.  The difference at the finish line was about 2 inches (non timed).

Daryl Patrick

未讀,
2015年3月14日 晚上11:58:022015/3/14
收件者:aha...@googlegroups.com
Larry,

Based on the "lap times", my money was on the Gray/purple car.  In the end, the Laser Etched "Faith" car won.  I think if I had run them a few times, I probably would have sorted out that it was nearly a dead heat.  After consulting the oracles, the the pinewood derby gurus said that 2 inches at the finish line worked out to be 0.010 of a second or less.  with an average of 0.08 second margin of victory either car would have won in either group.  Thanks again, to those that contributed you time and help to this project.  If anybody is racing or will be racing pinewood derby in the future.  I would gladly provide technical support.

DP

Blank

未讀,
2015年3月15日 凌晨4:22:082015/3/15
收件者:aha...@googlegroups.com
Pretty sure that I've got a few physics tricks that could put an un-carved block of wood in first, depending on how nitty gritty you'd like to get.

Tyler Worman

未讀,
2015年3月15日 上午10:24:112015/3/15
收件者:aha...@googlegroups.com
Daryl - did you end up getting the CNC working to build the body that you were trying for?

If so, how was your experience? Anything we should include in future classes?

Daryl Patrick

未讀,
2015年3月15日 上午10:41:282015/3/15
收件者:aha...@googlegroups.com
Zebs, I wouldn't mind that. Just to prove a point that it is about physics. We should talk. My daughter the stained car just won Grand Champion for her third time. So 3 out of 4 isn't bad. I can tell you what we do. Then compare notes to see where we could improve.

Daryl Patrick

未讀,
2015年3月15日 上午11:10:092015/3/15
收件者:aha...@googlegroups.com
Tyler,

Unfortunately, I just ran out of time to use the CNC this year. So I laser cut these and glued the pieces I needed together to make the one car "3D". I will spend some more time on the CNC to really work the bugs out of our designs. I have every intention to CNC them next year. I have a friend's son that is competing in the BSA Pinewood Derby in about a month. I offered to help if they want any. So maybe I'll try to use the CNC again. I would say the only thing to mention for the class would be to check the table and if high level of detail on 3D cutting is required check the table for level before you start. I think you mentioned that during the class, maybe a working example showing a bit zeroed on a work piece and then moved up about 5mm then traversed along X to show the variation across the table. Milling a spoil board before you start your actual project is a necessity for any accuracy when cutting.

Blank

未讀,
2015年3月15日 下午2:31:142015/3/15
收件者:aha...@googlegroups.com、aha...@googlegroups.com
Why don't you go ahead and send me notes. I can see what can be improved.

On Mar 15, 2015, at 10:41 AM, Daryl Patrick <dpatr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Zebs, I wouldn't mind that. Just to prove a point that it is about physics. We should talk. My daughter the stained car just won Grand Champion for her third time. So 3 out of 4 isn't bad. I can tell you what we do. Then compare notes to see where we could improve.

Leif Burrow

未讀,
2015年3月16日 凌晨12:03:482015/3/16
收件者:aha...@googlegroups.com
Great job and congrats!  If I remember right, your goal was 3 seconds right? 2.4557? Awesome!
回覆所有人
回覆作者
轉寄
0 則新訊息