1" Forstner bit?

Daniel Slomovits

Aug 3, 2017, 1:22:06 AM8/3/17
to aha...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Does anyone have a 1" forstner bit they could bring to open hours sometime? I think I could make it either tomorrow or Saturday. My goal is just to make a 1/4" deep by 1" diameter flat-bottomed hole in a piece of wood—should just take a minute or two.

Thank you,
Daniel

Tyler Worman

Aug 3, 2017, 9:56:51 AM8/3/17
to aha...@googlegroups.com
If you want a perfectly flat hole, you'll need a rim guided forstner. The CNC machine could also be used to cut this hole for you with a perfectly flat bottom. If someone is around they might be able to help you use it. You could also clean up any hole with a router.

With a normal forstner, you're going to see a pilot spur mark in the center. You might be able to grind the pilot tip off once you have drilled into your piece a little bit and then finish with that. If you grind before cutting some of the depth, then you'll risk skipping on the work piece.

I have a 1" normal forstner, but I'd not want to grind the spur. If you are okay with the spur mark, I could drop it by late next week.

     - Tyler

Daniel Slomovits

Aug 4, 2017, 8:33:57 PM8/4/17
to The AHA! Shop
Thanks for the thoughtful, comprehensive reply! For my purposes, I didn't need anything that precise—I meant "flat-bottomed" as in "flatter than you'd get with a spade bit" (which would have been good enough, except that the center point would have punched all the way through the 3/4" thick stock I was drilling). I say "didn't" because I ended up finding a 5/8" Forstner bit and just drilling a few overlapping holes and rounding out the result with a dremel.