Printer issues

Evan Dayringer

Apr 3, 2014, 5:36:27 PM4/3/14
to aha...@googlegroups.com

Hi, all
A visitor came in today, having taken the 3d printer class and wanting to print. We got as far as connecting the printer with the laptop near the printers and getting the pronterface software running, but it doesn't seem to be successfuly communicating with the printer. The com port is right, and we've tried a few of the printers, but it doesn't seem to be getting any message across. Any ideas? I took the 3d printer class some time ago but am by far not an expert. How do we make sure someone coming into the space will be able to print something?

Tyler Worman

Apr 3, 2014, 7:11:06 PM4/3/14
to aha...@googlegroups.com
Make sure the baud rate is proper for the printer.

If you are using Creamcheese that baud rate is: 115000 or the closest setting to that.

More step by step info can be found here for each printer!

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 5:36 PM, Evan Dayringer <evan.da...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, all
A visitor came in today, having taken the 3d printer class and wanting to print. We got as far as connecting the printer with the laptop near the printers and getting the pronterface software running, but it doesn't seem to be successfuly communicating with the printer. The com port is right, and we've tried a few of the printers, but it doesn't seem to be getting any message across. Any ideas? I took the 3d printer class some time ago but am by far not an expert. How do we make sure someone coming into the space will be able to print something?

Josh Williams

Apr 3, 2014, 7:21:08 PM4/3/14
to ahashop
As a general rule we allow people who've taken a workshop before to sit in on another one free of charge. If the visitor is still around please let them know a 3D Printer workshop is occurring this Saturday at 2pm!

Thanks Evan,

 - Josh Williams

Josh Williams

Apr 27, 2014, 8:34:50 PM4/27/14
to ahashop, ahashop...@googlegroups.com
Used Creamcheese tonight and things worked perfectly (holy printer balls batman!). A gentlemen stopped by to print a prototype for some equipment used in a lab at the UM for generating collagen.

Neat! : )

Tyler's comments seemed spot on, PrintRun/Pronterface on the laptop was set to communicate at some other baud rate other than 115200.

Switched the printrun setting to 115200, connected fine and everything ran smoothly. Yay!

 - Josh W.

Tyler Worman

Apr 28, 2014, 8:45:02 AM4/28/14
to aha...@googlegroups.com, ahashop...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Thanks for helping!

I've also got a replacement connector for Frank's printer on order. As soon as it arrives I'll install it and get that one working again!

Roger S

Apr 28, 2014, 10:58:42 AM4/28/14
to aha...@googlegroups.com, ahashop...@googlegroups.com
Wait ... you did 3D printing with cream cheese?  You guys need a Candy Fab 6000.

Tyler Worman

Apr 28, 2014, 11:01:30 AM4/28/14
to aha...@googlegroups.com, ahashop...@googlegroups.com
CandyFab would be awesome!

One of our Makerbot Cupcake printers is named "creamcheese" after these cupcakes: http://www.food.com/recipe/chocolate-cream-cheese-cupcakes-87623

Our other is named "Blackbottom" which is an alternate name for the same type of cupcake.