Free cassette and VHS tapes; ISO bulk tape eraser

Daniel Slomovits

Feb 6, 2017, 4:22:39 PM2/6/17
to The AHA! Shop
I'm going through our attic, recording old cassettes and VHS tapes into the computer. I don't plan to use them, but I understand (with cassettes at least) there is some recent interest in them. I'd love to see them used rather than just throwing them out, but Kiwanis etc. don't want them unless they're brand new/unopened. Is anyone interested?

There is one catch: These tapes are not blank, and I'd rather not spend the time to record over them in real-time, so I'd prefer to give them to someone who can lend me a bulk tape eraser—or, if you aren't interested but have one you'd be willing to lend, that'd be great.

----

Details:
* A couple dozen decent-quality Type II/High-Bias cassettes (mostly TDK and Maxell, with a couple oddballs and unbranded tapes thrown in)
* Maybe twice that of Type I/Normal-Bias (again lots of TDK and Maxell, with more oddballs)
* These were stored in an unconditioned attic for a long time, but the majority of them seem to be in pretty good shape. I threw out any with really obvious signs of mold, or which left a ton of junk on the tape head when played, but I may have missed some.
* Several dozen empty cassette cases (from the tapes I threw out), sorted by type. Some of the weird corner-hinged Memorex cases, if that's of interest.
* A couple dozen VHS tapes, mostly T-120 with a couple T-60 and T-160 thrown in. Highly-variable age and quality (I know less about VHS-tape quality than about cassettes), but all of them did play successfully. These were mostly stored indoors.