Calcium Carbide powder source?

Tyler Worman

Jun 30, 2016, 1:47:25 PM6/30/16
to ahashop...@googlegroups.com, aha...@googlegroups.com
Would anyone know where I could buy calcium carbide powder last minute in the area? The powder is also sometimes also called bangsite. It was traditionally used for miner's head lamps.

I have a BIG-BANG Cannon that I'd like to use over the holiday weekend with my nephews, but the tube of powder that I ordered from Conestoga Co. hasn't arrived yet. The tiny cannons were popular in PA (the company that makes is there), but I can't seem to find any retailer that knows about them in MI.

Why calcium carbide powder? Mixed with water, it forms acetylene gas which can be ignited inside the tiny metal cannons. It produces a loud noise when the vacuum created by ignition in the cannon chamber clears.

Thanks in advance!

     - Tyler

Brian Morse

Jun 30, 2016, 2:11:38 PM6/30/16
to aha...@googlegroups.com
How much are you looking for Tyler?  I have some in "nugget" form.  I can bring it tonight.

Brian

Sent from my Tardis

demuredemeanor

Jun 30, 2016, 2:33:13 PM6/30/16
to AHA! Shop members, aha...@googlegroups.com
If you are looking for possible back up plans, this might be an amusing project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFyKgmnCF-8

Tyler Worman

Jun 30, 2016, 2:50:03 PM6/30/16
to ahashop...@googlegroups.com, aha...@googlegroups.com
Zach - No luck with Cabela's. Thanks for the suggestion though. The guy there said I should try surplus stores and I might find it in rock form.

Brian - If you don't mind parting with it, I'd be happy to buy it off you. It looks like I can just crush/grind it to the right size without issue. It doesn't need much for it to work. The scoop is very small, maybe a gram at most. A few nuggets should be plenty.

Nate - I'll have to see if I can find from a lab supplier. Thanks!

Demure - Awesome project. That will definitely be a backup option. Thanks!

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 2:33 PM, demuredemeanor <demured...@gmail.com> wrote:
If you are looking for possible back up plans, this might be an amusing project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFyKgmnCF-8

Fundraising AHA

Jun 30, 2016, 4:05:39 PM6/30/16
to ahashop...@googlegroups.com, aha...@googlegroups.com
We have calcium chloride in stock. As an electrical engineer it sounds the same to me. But I suspect that's not the case. :) You can try sigma Aldrich if it's not commonly sold.

Greg

Gregory Gage, Ph.D.
Backyard Brains, Inc.
mail: gage...@backyardbrains.com
mob: (734) 968-7570
TED talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQNi5sAwuc
Neuroscience for Everyone

Roger S

Jul 1, 2016, 11:49:01 AM7/1/16
to The AHA! Shop, ahashop...@googlegroups.com, fundr...@allhandsactive.org
That's used for dust control on gravel roads.  It's water soluble and doesn't do what Tyler wants.  Calcium Carbide is where Union Carbide got its name.  I think it was used in headlights for autos early on.