Back to the future?

William la Forge

Mar 2, 2015, 11:15:44 PM3/2/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
More and more I find myself thinking about my old nemesis, the universal, can do anything data structure, Rolons. I know what can be done with them, I've just not been able to implement them in a form that I am comfortable with. So what am I calling a Rolon these days?

A Rolon is durable and named.

A Rolon is a b-tree (balanced, not binary)-like structure that spans multiple disk blocks and can grow to something larger than RAM.

A Rolon is a map of lists, recursively. Where there is no real limit on the number of lists nor on the size of them.

A Rolon is a versioned structure, allowing access to past state for any prior time.

OK, that's all very old ideas. Here now are some current thoughts on implementation.

A Rolon can be built using variations on AA Tree.

A Rolon is an immutable data structure for easy sharing across threads.

A Rolon does lazy deserialization and fast reserialization. But in a thread-safe way.

Because a Rolon is versioned, threads can share a mutable handle to a Rolon. Providing any given accessor is tied to a specific time.

Now for my quandary. How to divide this up into smaller projects? :D

Bill

Raoul Duke

Mar 3, 2015, 12:26:20 PM3/3/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
Would you have time & interest in comparing/contrasting Rolons vs.:
* vanilla btree on disk rdms.
* purely functional persistent data structures.
* dvcs's like mercurial, darcs, git.
?

William la Forge

Mar 3, 2015, 6:34:48 PM3/3/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
Not to worry Raoul. I'll be detailing out a bunch of things. The comparisons will be obvious, or should become so.

--b