versioned map lists released

William la Forge

Mar 10, 2015, 2:01:31 PM3/10/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers

Raoul Duke

Mar 10, 2015, 2:04:54 PM3/10/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
$0.02 if there aren't unit tests with something, then I tend to avoid it :-) What i really want from anybody is a {Known,Unknown} break-down of possible bugs. Known-knowns are things hopefully properly covered by unit tests. Known-Unknowns are things you cannot cover properly with unit tests. etc.

William la Forge

Mar 10, 2015, 2:20:21 PM3/10/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers

Bill La Forge CTO

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Raoul Duke <rao...@gmail.com> wrote:
$0.02 if there aren't unit tests with something, then I tend to avoid it :-) What i really want from anybody is a {Known,Unknown} break-down of possible bugs. Known-knowns are things hopefully properly covered by unit tests. Known-Unknowns are things you cannot cover properly with unit tests. etc.

William la Forge

Mar 10, 2015, 2:22:05 PM3/10/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
Tests are also mentioned a lot in the commits: https://github.com/laforge49/utils/commits/master

Bill La Forge CTO

Raoul Duke

Mar 10, 2015, 2:22:42 PM3/10/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
I think: They need to go in the released package. And they need to be easily run. Etc.

William la Forge

Mar 10, 2015, 2:24:50 PM3/10/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
Ah, but if you do a clone you can always use mvn to run all the tests. That's pretty standard, hmm?

Bill La Forge CTO

Raoul Duke

Mar 10, 2015, 2:26:27 PM3/10/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
> Ah, but if you do a clone you can always use mvn to run all the tests. That's pretty standard, hmm?

debatable: it is standard for people who don't run screaming away from mvn? ;-)

William la Forge

Mar 10, 2015, 2:27:39 PM3/10/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
Raoul,

Are you mvn phobic?

Bill La Forge CTO

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Raoul Duke <rao...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, but if you do a clone you can always use mvn to run all the tests. That's pretty standard, hmm?

debatable: it is standard for people who don't run screaming away from mvn? ;-)

William la Forge

Mar 10, 2015, 2:30:55 PM3/10/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
I am thinking there is also no tutorial. Frankly I see versioned map lists as a gentle lead in to more complex structures. The next step is immutable versioned map lists. And I suspect that there are a whole bunch of folk who have no idea of what I mean by immutable.

Bill La Forge CTO

Raoul Duke

Mar 10, 2015, 2:33:40 PM3/10/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
> Are you mvn phobic?

I have not used mvn that much. From what I've read, and given that Ivy
and Gradle are getting traction, it seems like mvn had some good ideas
that got turned evil with all the other things about it? I have to use
gradle and i hate it; yet another bad ux if you ask me.

(There has so far never been a packaging system that hasn't been awful
sooner or later. Makes one wonder if there's something fundamentally
dumb about our whole approach of wanting to use packages and package
management.)

Your release announcement pointed to a page with jar files on it. I
just think those jar files should contain the tests. If you only
pointed to a page that only had mvn poms in it then the claim re:
standard mvn test approach would hold a little more water. :-)

Raoul Duke

Mar 10, 2015, 2:34:16 PM3/10/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
p.s. and like i said it is just 2 cents worth of me sticking my nose
in tangentially off topic; totally ok to ignore of course! :)

William la Forge

Mar 10, 2015, 2:36:28 PM3/10/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
I always appreciate your .02 worth.

Bill La Forge CTO

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Raoul Duke <rao...@gmail.com> wrote:
p.s. and like i said it is just 2 cents worth of me sticking my nose
in tangentially off topic; totally ok to ignore of course! :)

William la Forge

Mar 10, 2015, 2:37:34 PM3/10/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
It is just so easy to get a narrower and narrower focus. Always nice to hear that there are other ways of doing things or thinking about them. --b

Bill La Forge CTO

William la Forge

Mar 10, 2015, 4:39:18 PM3/10/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
I found that github has (now, anyway) a release page. So I can start using that. And yeah, it might not be so new. :D

Bill La Forge CTO