kafka for distributed databases

William la Forge

Jul 8, 2015, 9:22:41 AM7/8/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
This was pointed out to me today: http://kafka.apache.org/

I can't help thinking that kafka + AwDb > Datomic

Any interested parties?

What if we did it using Clojure?

Bill La Forge CTO

Raoul Duke

Jul 8, 2015, 1:32:44 PM7/8/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
well if you make a quick stab at it and then post on the clojure list, you could well get some traction!

William la Forge

Jul 8, 2015, 1:42:38 PM7/8/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
I already got my post to the datomic group skuttled by the monitor. :-(

Bill La Forge CTO

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 1:32 PM, Raoul Duke <rao...@gmail.com> wrote:
well if you make a quick stab at it and then post on the clojure list, you could well get some traction!

Raoul Duke

Jul 8, 2015, 1:45:56 PM7/8/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
?! lame !!! well post to clojure instead as soon as you have a small integration demo.

William la Forge

Jul 8, 2015, 1:50:30 PM7/8/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
Oh. an integration demo.

I'm tied up right now finishing up the role based access control system. Deploying it in the front end will take a few days and it is too hot to work.

More excuses available on request. You are taking me out of my comfort zone. :-(

Bill La Forge CTO

Raoul Duke

Jul 8, 2015, 1:52:02 PM7/8/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
> More excuses available on request. You are taking me out of my comfort zone. :-(

this is surprising to me considering all you have accomplished to date :-)

slapping together some jars and writing a main() routine to do a single write-read should be enough to start?

William la Forge

Jul 8, 2015, 1:52:19 PM7/8/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
I mean, we are talking about splitting AwDb into 3 parts to recreate the Datomic architecture. Not a small thing.

Bill La Forge CTO

Raoul Duke

Jul 8, 2015, 1:57:22 PM7/8/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
i would say just do whatever evil hack you can as a demo/poc. make everything public, whatever! then call into the innards! whatever! just make something that actually frobs some data :-)

William la Forge

Jul 8, 2015, 2:14:56 PM7/8/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
Question for you Raoul. https://github.com/tonsky/datascript

It says it is a closure datalog that runs in the browser. But it is closure, right? So it could be adopted to run on top of AwDb?

AwDb has an object store on top, while Datomic provides datalog. Just wondering if AwDb could also provide a datalog implementation.

Bill La Forge CTO

Raoul Duke

Jul 8, 2015, 2:21:43 PM7/8/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
> It says it is a closure datalog that runs in the browser. But it is closure, right? So it could be adopted to run on top of AwDb?

clojurescript is supposedly raw clojure that just happens to compile
though to javascript. So in theory the same source code is regular
clojure and can be compiled to the jvm instead.

but! if a given clojurescript project links to other javascript libs,
then it can't be used on the jvm i should think.

> AwDb has an object store on top, while Datomic provides datalog. Just wondering if AwDb could also provide a datalog implementation.

Datalog is slowly having a nice resurgence over time e.g.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.QL

William la Forge

Jul 8, 2015, 2:49:57 PM7/8/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers

Bill La Forge CTO

Vicky Kak

Jul 9, 2015, 1:48:44 AM7/9/15
to agilewiki...@googlegroups.com
I have been reading this one and I see the Datalog mentioned here
http://codex.cs.yale.edu/avi/db-book/db6/appendices-dir/c.pdf

William la Forge

Jul 9, 2015, 5:09:04 AM7/9/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers
"Although not used commercially at present, Datalog has been used in several research database systems."

I suspect Datomic is not the only commercial use of Datalog. Times change. And there is a growing effort to use the semantic web, which some implementations of datalog support. (But not, apparently, the Datomic version.)

Bill La Forge CTO

Raoul Duke

Jul 9, 2015, 1:32:50 PM7/9/15
to AgileWikiDevelopers