author pages

Ron Jeffries

Sep 16, 2013, 7:49:27 PM9/16/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Once an author is logged in to the AgileAtlas site (login link is very hard to see, bottom of the home page, to the right of the copyright notice), you can select Dashboard down where it said Login. That may require another entry of user id and password (sorry about that). THEN … you should see your name at the top right. Click on that, and you should find yourself on a general profile page, labelled My Account.

If then you Edit Profile, you'll see a number of fields that you can fill in. The only one that is presently active is the one labelled bio. You can put a link in the bio using HTML, e.g.

The page formatting is not yet complete, but if you click on your author name in an article you've written, the page will appear including links.

Here is what I put in my bio:

and here is the page in question: http://agileatlas.org/author/list/ronjeffries. Note the <u></u> tags, which I used to get an underline on the links, which are otherwise not highlighted.

We'll be improving the look of this page as time goes on. Input is welcome. We'll do what we can within the limits of time, money, and the technology we're using.

Thanks! Let us know if you have problems. We'll help, to the point of putting in the information if you need us to.

Ron Jeffries

Mark Levison

Sep 18, 2013, 5:58:57 PM9/18/13
to Ron Jeffries, agile...@googlegroups.com
How we get access to our accounts? What can you do about multiple author articles? Both Charles and I need bio's and links. I assume other multiple author teams will feel the same way.

Thanks
Mark
--
Mark Levison
Sent with Airmail

Ron Jeffries

Sep 18, 2013, 7:17:48 PM9/18/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

On Sep 18, 2013, at 5:58 PM, Mark Levison <ma...@mlevison.com> wrote:

How we get access to our accounts? What can you do about multiple author articles? Both Charles and I need bio's and links. I assume other multiple author teams will feel the same way.

I think I described this yesterday. Here it is again:

Login is at the bottom of the home page, very light, to the right of the copyright. Click that. Enter your user name and password. If you do not know them, maybe you can get them from your email, or write me and I'll reset your PW and tell you what it is.

Once you are logged in, go to the Dashboard. The link to this is where the login link was, at the bottom of the home page. You may be required to log in again. This is a quirk of Expression Engine that we seem not to be able to get rid of.

On the dashboard, toward the top right, in fine print, you may see "show sidebar". If this is present, click it. After you click it (or if it was somehow already clicked), you will see -- wait for it -- a sidebar, showing your name and a link "My Account". Click that to get to your page of info.

Your account info has a whole raft of items. My advice is not to screw with most of them: I don't. The ones toward the top are mostly harmless and, for now at least, also mostly useless, as they are used primarily to identify people in the forum, which we have turned off in favor of this list.

If you click "Edit Profile", you'll see a bunch of fields. The only one that matters for the author page is "Bio". You can put whatever you want in that page, but please keep it brief. A link to your site can be put in, and you'll have to use HTML anchor tags, at least for now, like this:

Quotes, http://, and squiggles are necessary. Perhaps in the future we'll improve this section but as people only have to do this once, we don't see it as a high priority. It takes less time to do it than to write this, and probably less than it takes to read it.

Expression Engine doesn't really understand multiple authors, so we have a hack in it that lets the Curators provide an alternate author name, which could have been "Large Louis the Amazing Elephant Boy" but in this case was you and Charles.

Charles can of course have an author name on the site as well, if he doesn't already have one. However, at this time, the author link for a dual author does not work. Your article with him is the only dual-author article we have at present. If links to the two of you are important in that article, short term we can put the names into the text with links to the author pages, and longer term we can see if Expression Engine can somehow be coerced to understand multiple authors.

Or, I suppose, we could create an author named Mark Levison Charles Bradley III …

Anyway, that's the scoop. Please try to work through the process and give us feedback. In so doing, please try to remember that you are Canadian. :)

And good luck!
Wisdom begins when we learn the difference between "that makes no sense" and "I don't understand". -- Mary Doria Russell

Mark Levison

Sep 19, 2013, 12:35:43 AM9/19/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Sorry the access comment was that I don't have a userid and password for either of my identities, hence the question. I had seen and understood you instructions.

Until there is a better to handle the Charles/Mark article - I think we would both appreciate bio's and links back to our sites. I thought at one point we had one, it appears to have gotten lost. If you can't find them I will dig through my archives in the next day or two and find them again.

An elegant solution to this problem would help since I intend todo all of my real articles with a co-author (expect for the ones I write over wine).

That would also giving me editing access to the User Story articles where I would (with Charles's agreement), make some small improvements.

Hope some of this helps
Mark - at the same airport bar in Calgary he wrote his Sprint 0 item. Drinking Jim Barry McRae Wood Shiraz

--
You are in this forum as a guest. Please govern yourself accordingly.
---

Cheers
Mark Levison
Agile Pain Relief Consulting | Writing
Proud Sponsor of Agile Tour Gatineau Ottawa Nov 28, Toronto 26 and Montreal 24

Ron Jeffries

Sep 19, 2013, 5:29:04 AM9/19/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

On Sep 19, 2013, at 12:35 AM, Mark Levison <ma...@mlevison.com> wrote:

Sorry the access comment was that I don't have a userid and password for either of my identities, hence the question. I had seen and understood you instructions.

Your user id on the Atlas is mlevison and the associated email is ma...@mlevison.com.

Your dual id is levisonbradley, same email. (I just reset that email. It had formerly been set to a mail that I don't use, so any reset info went to the bit bucket.) From the look of the id, and the articles, it's not as hacked as I remembered. There appears to be a real author of the dual name that is set to the article. I'll look and see why it's not being linked to. Out web person is away for a while so that might not get instantly sorted.

Charles does not have an id on the system. AFAIK he can make one by trying to log in, else I can make one for him.

Until there is a better to handle the Charles/Mark article - I think we would both appreciate bio's and links back to our sites. I thought at one point we had one, it appears to have gotten lost. If you can't find them I will dig through my archives in the next day or two and find them again.

As above ...

An elegant solution to this problem would help since I intend todo all of my real articles with a co-author (expect for the ones I write over wine).

I suppose you could co- those with I.V.Veritas ...
Thanks, I'll pass that on to Laura, as well as looking at them myself.

That would also giving me editing access to the User Story articles where I would (with Charles's agreement), make some small improvements.

I believe you should have access now. If you want me to reset the passwords on those accounts, send me your desired password via private email or some other means you see as suitable.

And keep the info coming ...

Ron Jeffries
Yin and Yang I figure.
  -- Tom Jeffries

Mark Levison

Nov 29, 2013, 2:46:32 PM11/29/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Ron - After months putting my Bio up finally made it to the top of the product backlog. When I logged in and went to the members profile page I can't find he Bio slot. Where do I put my html?

Here's the page I'm staring at:
Inline image 1

Cheers
Mark

--
You are in this forum as a guest. Please govern yourself accordingly.
---

headshot-square-300x300 Mark Levison | 1 (877) 248-8277Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook
Certified ScrumMaster Training: Vancouver | Edmonton | Ottawa | Montreal | Toronto
Agile Pain Relief Consulting | Notes from a Tool User
Proud Sponsor of Agile Tour Gatineau Ottawa and Agile Coach Camp Canada
image.png

Ron Jeffries

Nov 29, 2013, 6:01:01 PM11/29/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
I’ve never seen that page. The title “New Entry” troubles me because you already have an author page.

Your user id is mlevison. I don’t know your password but can set it if need be. I suppose the system will do the usual thing of sending a link to your email as well, but don’t know that for sure.

Try logging in, then click Dashboard (shows up where the Login used to be; you may need to enter user id and password again). Then you should get a page that includes “My Account” at top right. If you click that, you get a page with about a zillion links down the left to change various things.

The one you want is Edit Profile. Then there are a bunch of fields including “Bio”. That one accepts simple text and HTML.

Let me know if that doesn’t work. I’m wondering where we could put some instructions.

Let me know if that works for you. Failing that, send me the stuff and I’ll put it it.

On Nov 29, 2013, at 2:46 PM, Mark Levison <ma...@mlevison.com> wrote:

Ron - After months putting my Bio up finally made it to the top of the product backlog. When I logged in and went to the members profile page I can't find he Bio slot. Where do I put my html?

Ron Jeffries
www.XProgramming.comPerfectionism is the voice of the oppressor -- Anne Lamott

Mark Levison

Nov 29, 2013, 9:37:06 PM11/29/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Got the my account thing was what I missed.

Danke
Mark

--
You are in this forum as a guest. Please govern yourself accordingly.
---

Ron Jeffries

Nov 29, 2013, 9:42:05 PM11/29/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Glad it worked!

On Nov 29, 2013, at 9:37 PM, Mark Levison <ma...@mlevison.com> wrote:

Got the my account thing was what I missed.

Ron Jeffries
www.XProgramming.com
Everything that needs to be said has already been said.
But since no one was listening, everything must be said again. -- Andre Gide