LeSS Article up on Atlas

Ron Jeffries

Dec 9, 2013, 9:35:19 AM12/9/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com, ScrumTCC@googlegroups.com Community
Thanks to Craig (and Bas) for a very fine article about LeSS, which is now up on the Atlas.

Ron Jeffries
If another does not intend offense, it is wrong for me to seek it;
if another does indeed intend offense, it is foolish for me to permit it.
  -- Kelly Easterley

Michael James

Dec 11, 2013, 3:39:28 AM12/11/13
to Scru...@googlegroups.com, agile...@googlegroups.com
I've already started referring people to this:

http://agileatlas.org/articles/item/large-scale-scrum-less-is-more

Craig and Bas's _Scaling Lean & Agile Development_ books are worth their considerable weight in gold.  But they are so thick I haven't been able to entice enough people to read them.  This article is better because ordinary people are more likely to get through it.

Regarding this paragraph:
No separate analysis group, testing group, architecture group, user experience group, platform group, etc. And no “tester” or “architect” within the team. That implies the dissolution of existing single-function groups and the management supervising roles, and the elimination of traditional career paths and job titles.

At first glance we'd expect that to scare people, but I've been spending time with a room full of testers, architects, PMs, functional department heads, etc. who are thrilled to declare those job titles and role definitions are incompatible with agility.  How do we implement this without alienating some of our best employees?  One suggestion (which I saw implemented in a local company and also discussed in Bas's book): let people take their job titles with them when they leave the company even if we de-emphasize them within the company.

--mj
(Michael)