Advise me ...

Ron Jeffries

Sep 14, 2013, 4:16:42 PM9/14/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
The Agile Atlas is the Scrum Alliance's official information site for articles, ideas, information about how to thrive using Scrum.

There are many important, indeed critical topics where people need help. These include technical practices, planning, "scaling", and many many more.

It has been extremely difficult to get people to write articles for the site, sometimes even when people disagree with what is there. Certainly there are important gaps in what's there, and yet articles are not forthcoming.

The Atlas is an important contribution by the Scrum Alliance for the benefit of everyone doing Scrum and everyone supporting it. We'd like to understand what we could do to get more and better material on the site, especially from people who are generally active in Scrum training and coaching.

Here are some ideas that we've thought about:

  • Would a small cash "honorarium" for the article be an incentive? If so, how much?
  • Would it be helpful to publish a short article or excerpt on the Atlas, with a link back to the author's own site?
  • Would more elaborate information about the author, on the Atlas site, be an incentive? (Did you know that the author page includes sections for your personal info, links to your site, and so on?)

What else comes to mind? We are asking everyone who reads this to ask him- or herself the questions: "Why am I, personally, not writing for the Atlas? What would get me to do so?" and to answer those questions in response to this note. Tell us your reasons, please. Tell us what would get more people contributing to this important resource.

Thanks,

Ron Jeffries
I'm really pissed off by what people are passing off as "agile" these days.
You may have a red car, but that does not make it a Ferrari.
  -- Steve Hayes

Michael Vizdos

Sep 14, 2013, 4:23:15 PM9/14/13
to ScrumTCC, agile...@googlegroups.com
For me it's time and trying to prioritize this with everything else
that's going on in life, the universe, and everything for me.

It's important (and during the writing of the Atlas you know I spent
many hours on the initial work with you as a volunteer) but not a high
priority for me right now.

My two cents, for what it's worth.

I *do* hand this out in workshops (sometimes we even use it as a
reference during discussions) and tell people this is the Scrum
Alliance reference version for their test.

What would get me to write something for the Atlas? Probably
nothing, because there is no pain involved for me personally today and
there is not a contract // $$ or personal commitment I have given to
help on this (read: I have chosen to say "no" at this time). It's
good enough for me.

I do value and appreciate the time people have put into this to date,
and enjoyed the participation I gave earlier on in the iterations of
getting this out there.

Thank you.

- mike vizdos
www.michaelvizdos.com/contact

Ron Jeffries

Sep 14, 2013, 4:31:48 PM9/14/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

On Sep 14, 2013, at 4:23 PM, Michael Vizdos <mvi...@gmail.com> wrote:

For me it's time and trying to prioritize this with everything else
that's going on in life, the universe, and everything for me.

Yes ...

It's important (and during the writing of the Atlas you know I spent
many hours on the initial work with you as a volunteer) but not a high
priority for me right now.

You seem to be focusing on a single page, the core page. The Atlas is far more than the core. If I had my druthers, I'd remove the core page entirely. It's the other articles, and common practices I'm more concerned about.

My two cents, for what it's worth.

I *do* hand this out in workshops (sometimes we even use it as a
reference during discussions) and tell people this is the Scrum
Alliance reference version for their test.

What would get me to write something for the Atlas?   Probably
nothing, because there is no pain involved for me personally today and
there is not a contract // $$ or personal commitment I have given to
help on this (read: I have chosen to say "no" at this time).  It's
good enough for me.

So this makes me think -- correct me if I'm wrong -- that you don't perceive the Atlas as a compendium of many articles but are thinking just in terms of the core?

I do value and appreciate the time people have put into this to date,
and enjoyed the participation I gave earlier on in the iterations of
getting this out there.

And we're grateful for that … :)
Wisdom begins when we learn the difference between "that makes no sense" and "I don't understand". -- Mary Doria Russell

Markus Gärtner

Sep 14, 2013, 5:52:43 PM9/14/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron,

For me two factors might change my motivation. 1. Getting something back as a honorarium, say to write for the Agile Atlas despite the German and English speaking magazines that I contribute to as well. 2. More outside visibility. So far I have written an article, and I don't know the state after submitting it. Last time I checked it was not published. Is there copy-editing on-going? Is it lost? May I submit it to some magazines as well? I don't know any answer to these questions.

Best Markus

--
Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance

Michael Vizdos

Sep 14, 2013, 6:14:39 PM9/14/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com, ScrumTCC

Hmm.

Maybe for me it's the relevance of the agile atlas.

Is it really relevant in the market or is it just a place to refer to pass a test (something I have heard from participants in my workshops).

It's a labor of love for you and others.  People are passionate about different things. This agile atlas is not one of them for me.

I feel like kind of an asshole for saying it because I know you and others are putting a ton of work into it.   And it's where my head is at this moment with my shelf full of other dusty shiny objects.

Thank you.

Mike Vizdos
www.michaelvizdos.com/contact

--
You are in this forum as a guest. Please govern yourself accordingly.
---

Ron Jeffries

Sep 14, 2013, 6:46:07 PM9/14/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

On Sep 14, 2013, at 6:14 PM, Michael Vizdos <mvi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Maybe for me it's the relevance of the agile atlas.

Is it really relevant in the market or is it just a place to refer to pass a test (something I have heard from participants in my workshops).

Well, again, the test page is just one page. There are many topics discussed there, and could be many more.

It's a labor of love for you and others.  People are passionate about different things. This agile atlas is not one of them for me.

It's certainly OK not to be passionate -- or even interested. My question here is about why. We talk, here and in the Trainers list, about how we're the holders of knowledge, how the Scrum Alliance should be taking positions (that we agree with, of course), and so on.

And when it comes time to say what those things are … few people show up. Some do … some complain … and most stand back.

My question is why are people standing back.

I feel like kind of an asshole for saying it because I know you and others are putting a ton of work into it.   And it's where my head is at this moment with my shelf full of other dusty shiny objects.

Well, the question is why, and what would it take for people to become more able to contribute. If the answer is that no one cares to, we should stop doing it.

Ron Jeffries

Sep 14, 2013, 6:52:23 PM9/14/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Hi Markus,

On Sep 14, 2013, at 5:52 PM, Markus Gärtner <mgae...@gmail.com> wrote:

For me two factors might change my motivation. 1. Getting something back as a honorarium, say to write for the Agile Atlas despite the German and English speaking magazines that I contribute to as well. 2. More outside visibility. So far I have written an article, and I don't know the state after submitting it. Last time I checked it was not published. Is there copy-editing on-going? Is it lost? May I submit it to some magazines as well? I don't know any answer to these questions.

Visibilty is a good topic, thanks for that.

Your article? Yikes! I don't know where it is. I don't see you listed as an author on the site, and I am not finding something lost in my email. So -- my fault I'm sure -- I fear it has somehow gotten lost. Please send it to me again.

Others: Are there things you submitted that are not up? Let me know, I may be even more screwed up than we already know. Seriously, we intend to publish anything submitted, working with the author actively if need be to get it in shape. I suppose we might reject something, but if we did, we'd do so explicitly.

So if we've screwed up -- my fault, not even Chet's, most likely -- please do let us know and immediately resubmit.

Thanks,

Ron Jeffries
Why pay now when we can pay later?

Michael Vizdos

Sep 14, 2013, 7:09:12 PM9/14/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com, ScrumTCC
I do not speak for the group.

But really this was a ploy by the scrum alliance to differentiate from the scrum guide.

People ... My customers ... Are yawning over any arguments over how many angels can fit on the head of a pin tip.  When this first started I helped lead the charge and was laughed at and... Well.. Whatever.

Here we are today.

I am passionate about scrum and the convergence with other agile techniques in order to #deliver and that's what I am passionate about.  Not everyone is.  Seems like people are passionate about many different topics than the basics of scrum.

People are saying volumes without talking or writing here.

Let's see how it plays out.

I do appreciate your leadership and passion that you and Chet have dedicated to this effort.

Again, I speak for myself.  I am listening for others in this thread.

Mike Vizdos
--
You are in this forum as a guest. Please govern yourself accordingly.
---

Ron Jeffries

Sep 14, 2013, 9:22:26 PM9/14/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

On Sep 14, 2013, at 7:09 PM, Michael Vizdos <mvi...@gmail.com> wrote:

I do not speak for the group.

But really this was a ploy by the scrum alliance to differentiate from the scrum guide.

Again, you are referring to one page on the site. One of many. One that I understand the need for, largely agree with, and wish was not on the site.

People ... My customers ... Are yawning over any arguments over how many angels can fit on the head of a pin tip.  When this first started I helped lead the charge and was laughed at and... Well.. Whatever.

Here we are today.

I am passionate about scrum and the convergence with other agile techniques in order to #deliver and that's what I am passionate about.  Not everyone is.  Seems like people are passionate about many different topics than the basics of scrum.

The site is not about the basics of Scrum. It already covers many issues, large and small, and could cover more.

People are saying volumes without talking or writing here.

Yes, I guess so.

Let's see how it plays out.

I do appreciate your leadership and passion that you and Chet have dedicated to this effort.

Again, I speak for myself.  I am listening for others in this thread.

Indeed ...

Ron Jeffries
www.XProgramming.com
It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
-- Ronald Reagan

Hubert Smits

Sep 14, 2013, 11:49:32 PM9/14/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Ron,

My thoughts on your question:
  • Money doesn't matter, but if you have some left just send it to Colorado :-)
  • Publicity is important, like an earlier response I would like people to find/read my articles. There is an initiative to use google ads for our classes, do the articles also get a push of some kind?
  • Structure: the GASPs seem unstructured and uncriticised, if I feel like writing and promoting a topic like "a 3 month Sprint Zero", it will still get published (or so I believe). In other words, I believe that a strong review/accept/reject structure would be helpful for me.
  • Time and priorities: I want to write, I have to write to brand myself. And yet, there are so many other things that need done. There are not enough hours in a day that I to do what I would like to do. I have started an experiment with a "ghost writer", I hope that helps. If it does then articles for the Atlas will have a better chance of being published.

Thanks for pulling this cart Ron, I wish I had your energy and time.

Best regards, Hubert

Markus Gaertner

Sep 15, 2013, 8:19:30 AM9/15/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ron,

please find attached the article on Dimensional Planning, that I sent you earlier. I already incorporated the feedback that you gave me back then.

Best
Markus

--
You are in this forum as a guest. Please govern yourself accordingly.
---

Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gaertner
Dimensional Planning.txt

Mark Levison

Sep 15, 2013, 1:13:19 PM9/15/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com, Scrum Training and Coaching Community
A few points of feedback - I will echo on TCC as well.

First up I have another article: Definition of Done - coming and forsee I might do one around estimation if I have the energy and the right partner. The biggest issue is time and energy. The User Stories article took Charles and I ~7 months of effort with probably 25-30hrs work each during that time. Trying to build a very small consulting business and write articles is hard. This year I have the added issue I'm trying to develop new courses from scratch

Details inline.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronje...@acm.org> wrote:
The Agile Atlas is the Scrum Alliance's official information site for articles, ideas, information about how to thrive using Scrum.

Here are some ideas that we've thought about:

  • Would a small cash "honorarium" for the article be an incentive? If so, how much?
-ve I don't write for money if anything it pushes me away. After all I will make the comparison to my consulting work, coaching, training work - no comparison in terms of money.
  • Would it be helpful to publish a short article or excerpt on the Atlas, with a link back to the author's own site?
To remain authoritative I think the atlas should have the complete copy of the articles it contains. In addition I think the atlas should have a way for people to leave comments, questions etc. This way people like Geir could comment on things they felt were misaligned with the core.
  • Would more elaborate information about the author, on the Atlas site, be an incentive? (Did you know that the author page includes sections for your personal info, links to your site, and so on?)
In my never humble opinion here's what we're missing right now to make it more attractive to me:
- Great PageRank - I want links from the Atlas back to my site to help me generate traffic
- Master Google Authorship - google tracks what it can about the material you have authored all over the web. If you give it a helping hand via the correct use of tags it will recognize you as the author of an item, that adds your personal authority on subject in the google world. You will have to make extra effort for articles that are a collaborative effort,
- drive traffic to the Atlas so we know people are reading this material. I write so people will read, increase readership any you can.
- Make it easy for us - we submit an article, it gets published, we get all of the above benefits without having to work :-)
- Make it easy for someone to get the entire contents of the site - Perhaps a print button that binds a PDF from all of the material - far out I know
- Seriously consider moving the atlas to the SA site - quick check AgileAtlas Pagerank: 3, ScrumAlliance PageRank: 6 - as a site owner I would rather have links from the SA site than the atlas (Sad perhaps but true).

I realize all of the above makes me look like all I care about is traffic - however I have noticed a correlation, more traffic == more business in the long term.

Make of it what you will
Cheers
Mark - off to take a kid to a play date.

What else comes to mind? We are asking everyone who reads this to ask him- or herself the questions: "Why am I, personally, not writing for the Atlas? What would get me to do so?" and to answer those questions in response to this note. Tell us your reasons, please. Tell us what would get more people contributing to this important resource.

Thanks,

Ron Jeffries
I'm really pissed off by what people are passing off as "agile" these days.
You may have a red car, but that does not make it a Ferrari.
  -- Steve Hayes

--
You are in this forum as a guest. Please govern yourself accordingly.
---

Cheers
Mark Levison
Agile Pain Relief Consulting | Writing
Proud Sponsor of Agile Tour Gatineau Ottawa Nov 28, Toronto 26 and Montreal 24

Ron Jeffries

Sep 15, 2013, 2:02:36 PM9/15/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hubert,

On Sep 14, 2013, at 11:49 PM, Hubert Smits <hubert...@gmail.com> wrote:

  • Money doesn't matter, but if you have some left just send it to Colorado :-)
I'll keep that in mind. I don't think we could do much for articles, but we might be able to do a token amount.
  • Publicity is important, like an earlier response I would like people to find/read my articles. There is an initiative to use google ads for our classes, do the articles also get a push of some kind?
We could certainly push harder. The Atlas author pages can include links to the author site. (More on that below.) I'm not sure how else we should put the word out.

  • Structure: the GASPs seem unstructured and uncriticised, if I feel like writing and promoting a topic like "a 3 month Sprint Zero", it will still get published (or so I believe). In other words, I believe that a strong review/accept/reject structure would be helpful for me.
On the contrary, we review them pretty firmly. We will not publish stuff that we believe to be stupid or flat wrong, at least under the heading of Common Practices, which is what thy are now called.

Calling them Common Practices gives us a wider ability to put things up for consideration. Otherwise we would have had to figure out what "Generally Accepted" meant, and put everything to a vote. We do not believe that's the right way to build a growing interesting site.

We might possibly publish an article on three month Sprint zero, but I doubt it very much. :) I can't think offhand what would get it through our filters. Neither Chet nor I are particularly lenient about things like that. If we did publish it, it would not be under Common Practices, unless such things do become common … and even then we'd not likely publish it unless it came out against them.

The notion of a Sprint Zero and Release Sprint are certainly controversial: that's why they are listed that way and why we asked for and published articles on both sides. They are also very common practices, which is why they deserve to be written about.

Craig Larman wrote on the trainers' list about the difference between perfecting goals and accepting common practice that falls short of perfect. (I can't do justice to his words, which are not in front of me.) Most teams are not good enough in practice to ship at the end of any Sprint. If they are not, they need to know what to do instead, and that is likely some kind of specialized "Release Sprint".

Personally, I would say "Some teams use a Release Sprint. They use it this way xxx. They limit it to one Sprint. Teams using Release Sprints are not all the way there yet, and should work to get to where they don't need it." Dan is a thoughtful and respected Scrum person, and his view deserves consideration, I think. I also think it deserves to be faced with alternative views, which is why we solicited and published other viewpoints.

In application, much of Scrum is controversial. Tasks vs small stories. How hard to work to prevent defects. Estimation, projection, steering. And so on. I don't think we can pretend to publish Hard Truth. We have to try to enlighten people as to what is done, and what the pros and cons are around what is done.

To me that means we need to publish thoughtful articles that are wandering the edges of Scrum. Things that explore the periphery and tell readers what happened.
  • Time and priorities: I want to write, I have to write to brand myself. And yet, there are so many other things that need done. There are not enough hours in a day that I to do what I would like to do. I have started an experiment with a "ghost writer", I hope that helps. If it does then articles for the Atlas will have a better chance of being published.
Yes. Would it make sense to have people put articles on their own site, for greater brand visibility, and then put excerpts on the Atlas, with links to the full articles? That would let the Atlas serve as an aggregator, providing a wide range of information, but let people focus on their own brand as well.

Ron Jeffries
www.XProgramming.com
Sometimes I give myself admirable advice, but I am incapable of taking it.
-- Mary Wortley Montagu

Ron Jeffries

Sep 16, 2013, 5:06:03 PM9/16/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Markus,
I'll get right on this. Not sure how I dropped the ball but I take full responsibility.
Thanks for having in …

On Sep 15, 2013, at 8:19 AM, Markus Gaertner <mgae...@gmail.com> wrote:

please find attached the article on Dimensional Planning, that I sent you earlier. I already incorporated the feedback that you gave me back then.

Sometimes you just have to stop holding on with both hands, both feet, and your tail, to get someplace better.
Of course you might plummet to the earth and die, but probably not: you were made for this.

Ron Jeffries

Sep 16, 2013, 5:57:28 PM9/16/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Hi Markus,

On Sep 15, 2013, at 8:19 AM, Markus Gaertner <mgae...@gmail.com> wrote:

please find attached the article on Dimensional Planning, that I sent you earlier. I already incorporated the feedback that you gave me back then.

Check it out and let me know if you see anything needing to be fixed. I'll send you your ID and password separately.

Ron Jeffries
www.XProgramming.com Before you contradict an old man, my fair friend, you should endeavor to understand him. - George Santayana

Ron Jeffries

Sep 16, 2013, 6:07:00 PM9/16/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Thanks …

On Sep 15, 2013, at 1:13 PM, Mark Levison <ma...@mlevison.com> wrote:

A few points of feedback - I will echo on TCC as well.

First up I have another article: Definition of Done - coming and forsee I might do one around estimation if I have the energy and the right partner. The biggest issue is time and energy. The User Stories article took Charles and I ~7 months of effort with probably 25-30hrs work each during that time. Trying to build a very small consulting business and write articles is hard. This year I have the added issue I'm trying to develop new courses from scratch

Yes, it's difficult to find time. We're grateful for what you've done and hopeful for more. :)

Details inline.

-ve I don't write for money if anything it pushes me away. After all I will make the comparison to my consulting work, coaching, training work - no comparison in terms of money.

Agreed. Some people seem to think a little "tip" would be nice. We're open to it if it would work ...

  • Would it be helpful to publish a short article or excerpt on the Atlas, with a link back to the author's own site?
To remain authoritative I think the atlas should have the complete copy of the articles it contains. In addition I think the atlas should have a way for people to leave comments, questions etc. This way people like Geir could comment on things they felt were misaligned with the core.

I'd certainly prefer full articles. We are open to having them echoed on the author's site. We do have a comment capability. I suppose we could turn it on and see what happens. I'm not very impressed with what happens on most comment threads around the internet and it seems it might take a whale of a lot of moderating. But we'll take it under advisement to try comments.

  • Would more elaborate information about the author, on the Atlas site, be an incentive? (Did you know that the author page includes sections for your personal info, links to your site, and so on?)
In my never humble opinion here's what we're missing right now to make it more attractive to me:
- Great PageRank - I want links from the Atlas back to my site to help me generate traffic

Can do. Author page can have your link in it (I am told) and if it's not good enough we are more than willing to make it better.

- Master Google Authorship - google tracks what it can about the material you have authored all over the web. If you give it a helping hand via the correct use of tags it will recognize you as the author of an item, that adds your personal authority on subject in the google world. You will have to make extra effort for articles that are a collaborative effort,

No idea how to do this, news to me. Perhaps our web person knows. Link to info if you have time?

- drive traffic to the Atlas so we know people are reading this material. I write so people will read, increase readership any you can.

Yes. Of course if I really knew how to drive traffic I'd be doing it to my site. :) Open to ideas though.

- Make it easy for us - we submit an article, it gets published, we get all of the above benefits without having to work :-)

We do that. In fact I seem to recall we did most of the grunt work with your article with Charles. When we get something in a text format it's much easier. We don't have clerical staff over here ...

- Make it easy for someone to get the entire contents of the site - Perhaps a print button that binds a PDF from all of the material - far out I know

Yeah … :)

- Seriously consider moving the atlas to the SA site - quick check AgileAtlas Pagerank: 3, ScrumAlliance PageRank: 6 - as a site owner I would rather have links from the SA site than the atlas (Sad perhaps but true).

I could imagine that this could happen. Chet and I specifically had in mind that it would be a Scrum Alliance site in effect, but not strongly branded so that we could get material from a wider range of people. That may or may not be working out ...

I realize all of the above makes me look like all I care about is traffic - however I have noticed a correlation, more traffic == more business in the long term.

We asked, you answered. Just right. Thanks!

Mark Levison

Sep 16, 2013, 7:34:51 PM9/16/13
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Reply inline.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronje...@acm.org> wrote:
Details inline.

-ve I don't write for money if anything it pushes me away. After all I will make the comparison to my consulting work, coaching, training work - no comparison in terms of money.

Agreed. Some people seem to think a little "tip" would be nice. We're open to it if it would work ...

Poor every penny the SA or others share into good SEO help. In addition start challenging SA trainers, CSCs, friends, enemies (:-) to link back to the site. Single best SEO trick - get links.

  • Would it be helpful to publish a short article or excerpt on the Atlas, with a link back to the author's own site?
To remain authoritative I think the atlas should have the complete copy of the articles it contains. In addition I think the atlas should have a way for people to leave comments, questions etc. This way people like Geir could comment on things they felt were misaligned with the core.

I'd certainly prefer full articles. We are open to having them echoed on the author's site. We do have a comment capability. I suppose we could turn it on and see what happens. I'm not very impressed with what happens on most comment threads around the internet and it seems it might take a whale of a lot of moderating. But we'll take it under advisement to try comments.

Heck I will moderate comments on my own articles if that helps.

That will help. For co-authored material you need something that allows two different wordpress profiles to be associated with a single article. This plugin gives you an idea of what's required: http://www.billerickson.net/wordpress-post-multiple-authors/ - if you have a good web guy they can probably make some good suggestions on this front.

- Master Google Authorship - google tracks what it can about the material you have authored all over the web. If you give it a helping hand via the correct use of tags it will recognize you as the author of an item, that adds your personal authority on subject in the google world. You will have to make extra effort for articles that are a collaborative effort,

No idea how to do this, news to me. Perhaps our web person knows. Link to info if you have time?

I suspect your web person already knows this and more. If not I can give them a helping hand.

- drive traffic to the Atlas so we know people are reading this material. I write so people will read, increase readership any you can.
Yes. Of course if I really knew how to drive traffic I'd be doing it to my site. :) Open to ideas though.

See all comments about SEO and links above.

- Make it easy for us - we submit an article, it gets published, we get all of the above benefits without having to work :-)

We do that. In fact I seem to recall we did most of the grunt work with your article with Charles. When we get something in a text format it's much easier. We don't have clerical staff over here ...

For me - just give me access to a word press login and I will make the rest happen. I promise not to harm the site too much :-)

This might be a start: http://wordpress.org/plugins/printfriendly/ - again wordpress isn't something I know deeply.

- Seriously consider moving the atlas to the SA site - quick check AgileAtlas Pagerank: 3, ScrumAlliance PageRank: 6 - as a site owner I would rather have links from the SA site than the atlas (Sad perhaps but true).
I could imagine that this could happen. Chet and I specifically had in mind that it would be a Scrum Alliance site in effect, but not strongly branded so that we could get material from a wider range of people. That may or may not be working out ...

If we could get even Allan Shalloway out to an SA conference I could imagine many open minded people would happy to post to an SA site. Especially people who know SEO.

Must find dinner before I eat my arm.

Cheers
Mark