Special Announcement

f3llowtraveler

Aug 2, 2012, 8:29:41 AM8/2/12
to agile-...@googlegroups.com
Once again it is I, Fellow Traveler, your faithful and loyal friend.

And I promise there is a special treat for you at the bottom of this
email. :-)

First off, the newest versions of OT and Moneychanger have been
released. In addition to automake, this new OT is now able to start up
without a data folder, and AUTO-GENERATE any files/folders that are
necessary. (Meaning there is no longer any dependency on sample data in
order to run...)

Make sure you download both OT and Moneychanger (or neither), since both
were changed (to accommodate an API change.)

https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/
https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Moneychanger

http://open-transactions-tv.github.com/

===> Also, I am pleased to announce that I am starting up a new company,
~ Monetas ~, to pursue building high-end applications using the OT
technology. (OT is only a foundation--there is more we must accomplish.)

QUESTION: What does this mean? Is some corporation going to gain control
over OT?

ANSWER: Absolutely not. I want to address any concerns about this right
away: Open-Transactions is free software and it will always belong to
the open-source community where it was developed, just like Linux or
GPG. It's NOT being signed over to some corporation. We believe this is
actually the best move, from a business perspective.

David Wheeler's comments are instructive:

------------- "The GPL has enforced a consortia-like arrangement on any
major commercial companies that want to use it. Red Hat, Novell, IBM,
and many others are all contributing as a result, and they feel safe in
doing so because the others are legally required to do the same. Just
look at the domain names on the Linux kernel mailing list – big
companies, actively paying for people to contribute. In July 2004,
Andrew Morton addressed a forum held by U.S. Senators, and reported that
most Linux kernel code was generated by corporate programmers (37,000 of
the last 38,000 changes were contributed by those paid by companies to
do so.)" -------------

... We believe that Open-Transactions can function the same way. There
are already multiple contributors. We envision a future where many
competing companies feel safe spending money on improving the OT code
base, just as they do today with Linux.

===> The focus of Monetas, rather, will be on NEW, high-end applications
and integrations, built using OT technology. We will also develop the
premier server platform for all kinds of smart contracts and other
financial instruments. Our roadmap includes innovations that solve
fundamental problems and that will greatly benefit the Bitcoin ecosystem.

We believe we stand at the beginning of a new epoch, a time of
unprecedented opportunities for innovations that will change the course
of history.

My business partner is Johann Gevers (joh...@monetas.net). He is leading
the business side of the company as CEO, and I am leading the technical
side of the company as CTO.

We have very exciting plans for Monetas. Stay tuned.

-Fellow Traveler

P.S. ...and one more thing. I thought you guys might like to see some
new GUI mock-ups...

Standard mode:
https://www.fluidui.com/editor/live/preview/p_8ZN0r9Pbp2XzPC7yL3lDFw5lW2L7vEye.1343824445082

Advanced mode:
https://www.fluidui.com/editor/live/preview/p_XcN9TmQ5FItuPr5QctxES2XfAhinsVPp.1343659566990

Mock-ups currently only available in Chrome or Safari, sorry.
(I promise my own web apps will be compliant with web standards :-)

Melvin Carvalho