Reporting - CampaignStatus and Amount incorrect when selected date range was long time ago

劉又潔

Apr 27, 2017, 5:41:31 AM4/27/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

We began to use aw-reporting, which allow us to get api data insert into our database.
When we try to create some report from data we got from api, there are some problems deal with "CampaignStatus" and "Amount" in CampaignPerformanceReport.
Here's the situation:
Today is 4/27, I get campaign data(date range 3/1 to 3/31) downloaded to my database,
everything all right(which means I can get the same value from database as what I got at google adwords backsite) except "CampaignStatus" and "Amount":
I have a campaign which was enabled from 3/1 to 3/5, and then paused it until now,
so that it had non-zero impressions value during those days,
but now my CampaignStatus column has "paused" value in row 3/1-3/5 in my database.
Same problem with Amount column, it only gave me "todays budget(4/27)" instead of "budget in those days(3/1-3/5)" in row 3/1-3/5.
I can't get exact value of past situation when download date rage was long time ago.

Is that because I can only receive the status "right now(4/27)" and insert it into my db?
If true, is there any way to get status "in data rage(3/1-3/31)" and check it?

Additional question,
I can get AdvertisingChannelType of selected Campaign from CampaignPerformanceReport,
but is there any way to get "parent campaign's AdvertisingChannelType" of an Adgroup when using AdgroupPerformanceReport without join CampaignPerformanceReport and AdgroupPerformanceReport?

Vishal Vinayak (Adwords API Team)

Apr 27, 2017, 3:10:11 PM4/27/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

Aw-Reporting tool uses AdWords Reports internally to sync your reporting data with your local database. However, the reporting call would return the current state of your account for attribute fields such as CampaignStatus and Amount i.e. if you add CampaignStatus field to your report, this would return the status of the campaign at the time of report generation. If you plan to use historic changes in campaign data, I would suggest taking a snapshot of your local DB / table on a regular basis and saving that copy separately.

Regarding your other question, you can use CampaignService.get to fetch the AdvertisingChannelType of each campaign in your AdGroup Performance Report.

Regards,
Vishal, AdWords API Team

Jacob Edison

Aug 14, 2017, 4:37:42 PM8/14/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Vishal,

Why is this the case? I feel that this field is incredibly misleading and also entirely useless. What is the scenario when returning the current status of an AdGroup or Campaign on a historical report useful to people? Not a rhetorical question, I'm actually wondering what the use case when a user would intentionally request current statuses on a historical dataset.

Overall as a customer of AdWords and API developer it feels like Google purposely makes tracking budget, bid, and status changes as difficult as possible to deter automated strategies. Whether or not that's your prerogative the "status" data you're returning crosses the line of making things difficult vs purposely feeding bad data to your clients.

Peter Oliquino

Aug 14, 2017, 11:37:53 PM8/14/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Jacob,

I'm also from the AdWords API team and as much as we would like to assist you regarding your concern, it would seem that it is more of product related rather than specific to the AdWords API itself. This said, I would recommend that you get in touch with the product experts via the AdWords Community Forum for better assistance.

Best regards,
Peter
AdWords API Team