Unable to create DynamicSearchAd in v201705

Oliver

Jun 11, 2017, 4:45:52 AM6/11/17
to AdWords API Forum
Since upgrading to v201705, we're unable to create new ads od type DynamicSearchAd.  We get back this error:  OPERATION_NOT_PERMITTED_FOR_AD_GROUP_TYPE

The adgroups in which we want to create the DSA allow this type of ad.  The adgroups are of type SEARCH_STANDARD which according to the below should allow DSA ads:

The ads can be created via the web interface, but not the API.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Oliver

Shwetha Vastrad (AdWords API Team)

Jun 12, 2017, 12:28:21 PM6/12/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Oliver,

You can only create Dynamic Search Ads in ad groups with adGroupType as SEARCH_DYNAMIC_ADS. If you try to create a ExpandedDynamicSearchAd in an adGroup with adGroupType as SEARCH_STANDARD, you'll get the OperationAccessDenied.OPERATION_NOT_PERMITTED_FOR_AD_GROUP_TYPE error. Could you provide an example AdGroupId where you are able to create an ExpandedDynamicSearchAd in the UI? Please use Reply privately to author when responding.

Thanks,
Shwetha, AdWords API Team.

Oliver

Jun 13, 2017, 2:49:29 AM6/13/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Shwetha,

You say:
>> You can only create Dynamic Search Ads in ad groups with adGroupType as SEARCH_DYNAMIC_ADS.

We don't believe this is the case.  We're referring here to DynamicSearchAd and not ExpandedDynamicSearchAd.  We've always been able to create DynamicSearchAd in adgroups with type  SEARCH_STANDARD.  The documentation below also confirms we can do this:

The last paragraph in the above document says:
>> Ad groups with AdGroupType of SEARCH_STANDARD are not affected by this change. You can still continue adding expanded text ads, dynamic search ads, call ads, and various criterion types to them.

Example adgroup ID:  19597050263

Just to confirm, I'm not referring to creating the new Expanded DSA.  I'm referring to only DSA.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Oliver

Nadine Sundquist (AdWords API Team)

Jun 13, 2017, 12:24:14 PM6/13/17
to AdWords API Forum
Greetings Oliver,

I took a look into this as well. It does look unexpected. Thank you for providing all the additional detail. I've started an internal thread to start looking into it. I'll get back to you as soon as we make further progress in figuring out what changed in our code base. If you don't hear from me soon, feel free to bump this thread.

Cheers,
Nadine, AdWords API Team

Nadine Sundquist (AdWords API Team)

Jun 21, 2017, 1:21:16 PM6/21/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Oliver,

It turns out that you found a mistake in our blog post, and it took a bit of discussion to get everyone on the same page here. With this last release DSAs can no longer be added to ad groups of type SEARCH_STANDARD. We will be updating the blog post shortly. Thank you for catching this!

Best,
Nadine, AdWords API Team

Oliver

Jun 22, 2017, 6:05:24 AM6/22/17
to AdWords API Forum
Thanks.  However, we're still able to create these ads in the web interface in this type of adgroup.    This inconsistency makes it confusing to our users who question why it's possible in web interface but not API.

Nadine Sundquist (AdWords API Team)

Jun 22, 2017, 9:42:06 AM6/22/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Oliver,

Sometimes when the AdWords product is in transition, such as in this move from dynamic search ads to the new expanded dynamic search ads, you'll see that the AdWords UI and the AdWords API are not in perfect step with each other. There are times when the UI changes first, and there are other times when the API will change first. This happens to be one of those cases where you see the side effects of this process.

Please take this opportunity to encourage your users to move to expanded dynamic search ads. That way they can be ahead of the game. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out.

Take care,
Nadine, AdWords API Team

Jun Nakamura

Aug 25, 2017, 2:40:51 PM8/25/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Oliver,

I have a question about the changes.
Will the changes (unable to edit DSA with type SEARCH_STANDARD )on API definitely apply to the AdWords UI in the future? If yes, I would appreciate if you could share me the specific plan if decided.

Thanks,
Jun

Thanet Knack Praneenararat (AdWords API Team)

Aug 28, 2017, 2:22:39 AM8/28/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Jun,

I'm afraid that the timeline of the AdWords UI itself is out of our scope.

But if you try the new AdWords experience to create an ad group under a campaign that has Dynamic Search Ads feature enabled, you can see that now you have a choice to select an ad group type of either standard or dynamic.
So, the UI is also evolving towards separating ad group types as well.

Best,
Thanet, AdWords API Team

hanks,
Jun

Jun Nakamura

Aug 28, 2017, 4:15:39 AM8/28/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Thanet,

Thank you for sharing this.

So, the UI is also evolving towards separating ad group types as well.
I've confirmed that we can create separated new ad group of standard or dynamic on the new UI.
To make sure, is my understanding correct that even if the timeline is undecided, the UI side eventually will not be able to operate DSA in adgroup with standard like API?

In addition, for v201705, you cannot add features related to Dynamic Search Ads to ad groups with AdGroupTypeof SEARCH_STANDARD. Examples of Dynamic Search Ad features include the Webpage criterion and ExpandedDynamicSearchAds.

Thanks,
Jun

Thanet Knack Praneenararat (AdWords API Team)

Aug 28, 2017, 4:40:18 AM8/28/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hello Jun,

As this is related to AdWords product, not the API, the best place to ask would be the AdWords community.
Could you ask in that forum please?

Best,
Thanet, AdWords API Team

Jun Nakamura