Inquiry: Is the "Recommended Daily Budget" Definition supported?

karl appel

Nov 30, 2016, 4:49:00 PM11/30/16
to AdWords API Forum
Essentially what I am looking for is a way to determine via the API whether a campaign is limited by budget. According to the Google Adwords API, this warning happens when above the recommended daily budget https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2616012?hl=en. The daily budget is a definition https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/25426 , but I don't see where in the API you would get this information.

I checked the Budget Class in the API but I have had no luck finding what I am looking for. Is this supported? If so, what are the steps to accomplish this goal of finding if a campaign is limited by budget?

Shwetha Vastrad (AdWords API Team)

Nov 30, 2016, 5:40:20 PM11/30/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Karl,

Its not possible to determine if a campaign is limited by budget using AdWords API at the moment. This information is not available in the Campaign Performance Report. If you are using portfolio bid strategies, you can use the SystemStatus field in Bid Goal Performance Report to determine if a bidding strategy system is limited by budget. Please keep an eye on the blog for any updates about this.

Regards,
Shwetha, AdWords API Team.

Zweitze

Dec 1, 2016, 6:30:45 AM12/1/16
to AdWords API Forum
Well, I have no idea how Google predicts the budget for the present or future, but you can derive similar information as follow:
Request a CAMPAIGN_PERFORMANCE_REPORT, include your campaign (or filter on it) and also ContentBudgetLostImpressionShare and SearchBudgetLostImpressionShare. If either is above 2% your budget was too low. Read the documentation to see what those fields really mean.

It's not exactly the information you're looking for. First you need to request a period in the past (like yesterday or last seven days), where the Recommended Daily Budget is about the present or future. Still you have something.

Hope this helps.

karl appel

Dec 6, 2016, 6:41:02 PM12/6/16
to AdWords API Forum
The problem is Google can spend 20% more than your allowed budget on certain days and less on others depending on the days within the month. So this isn't really a good way of determining that but I do appreciate the comment.