How to check conversion which are imported from GA

Tibor Szendy

Jul 24, 2017, 6:24:13 AM7/24/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

we are in the process of buliding SAAS optimalization platform for AdWords.

One of the function would be to check the account if it has conversion tracking implemented.

Is there a way to list/find the conversion which are imported from Google Analytics through the AdWords API ?

Would appreciate your response.

Thanks

Shwetha Vastrad (AdWords API Team)

Jul 24, 2017, 1:42:06 PM7/24/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

You can use ConversionTrackerService to get the conversion trackers in your account. The goals and transactions created in your Analytics account linked to your AdWords account are returned as AdWordsConversionTrackers with no trackingCodeType. The status will be HIDDEN if you haven't imported these in your AdWords account.

Regards,
Shwetha, AdWords API Team.

Eric Maas

Aug 7, 2017, 7:23:58 PM8/7/17
to AdWords API Forum
Is there a special way that we need to make the call to see the Google Analytics conversion trackers?  From what we're seeing, they are not returned.

I also found this, but it is over a year old:

Shwetha Vastrad (AdWords API Team)

Oct 24, 2017, 1:13:29 PM10/24/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Eric,

I just wanted to check if this is still a concern for your application? It looks like Google Analytics conversion trackers are not being returned by ConversionTrackerService. I have filed a feature request on your behalf. I wanted to gather a few details on your use case where you would like to retrieve this data via AdWords API so the team can prioritize this request.

GregT

Nov 9, 2017, 12:34:37 AM11/9/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi, Swetha.

I work with Eric. Generally, the problem is that most of our clients and potential clients have a fair number of conversion trackers in their accounts tracking lots of various things, and we spend a fair amount of time with them to make sure that we're optimizing for the performance of the conversion trackers that truly matter to their bottom line. We automate this whenever possible. We can discover what Google Analytics conversion trackers exist (or have existed in the past) using reports, but the only info we can get are their name, id, and category from those reports. Since Google Analytics conversion trackers don't get returned by the service, we are missing out on some crucial pieces of information to make (and help our clients make) those decisions -- particularly important are whether the Google Analytics conversion trackers are currently active (their status), whether they are included in the "conversions" column (indicating they have at least historically been conceived of as "important"), their deduplication mode, and their attribution model type. Without this information, rather than our system being able to make intelligent decisions or our employees being able to use our application (which they already have opened to do lots of other things) to make them, they have to open up a browser, find the right account, navigate to the conversion types page, and look at the information there.

I hope that helps, and thanks for filing a feature request,
Greg

Shwetha Vastrad (AdWords API Team)

Nov 9, 2017, 11:07:23 AM11/9/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Greg,

Thanks for providing these details. I'll forward this feedback to the team and update you once I have more details. You can also keep an eye on our blog where we announce upcoming API changes.

Adam Haining

May 8, 2018, 7:10:27 PM5/8/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Checking in on this one.  I've just run into this same problem.  Analytics conversions are not returning with the ConversionTrackerService.  Is this a bug or is it designed this way?

Sreelakshmi Sasidharan (AdWords API Team)

May 9, 2018, 12:04:50 PM5/9/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Adam,

The Google Analytics conversion trackers are not being returned by ConversionTrackerService at the moment. Our team is looking into updating the API documentation to reflect the expected behavior of the API.

Thanks,
Sreelakshmi, AdWords API Team

Stijn van Lieshout

Nov 15, 2018, 1:07:33 PM11/15/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Has this issue been addressed in v201809?

The documentation now states:

Note: Analytics goals and transactions created in Google Analytics profiles linked to this Google Ads account are returned with no trackingCodeType. They have a status of HIDDEN if they haven't been imported into Google Ads. The status of conversion trackers cannot be changed via the API; they can only be imported using the Google Ads UI.

The way how this is phrased is quite confusing to me. How I read this is that it is now possible to retrieve goals linked to GA accounts, but that these will be returned with no trackingCodeType

But how do I retrieve conversions with no trackingCodeType? They don't seem to be returned by default.

Sreelakshmi Sasidharan (AdWords API Team)

Nov 15, 2018, 3:39:37 PM11/15/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hello,

I can confirm that the conversion trackers with source as "Analytics" are not returned via the API at the moment. You will need to get these details from the Google Ads web interface. I will follow up with the team to get the API docs updated.

Adam Haining

Nov 15, 2018, 5:10:46 PM11/15/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
A workaround that I've put into place (just to see what the conversions are) is by pulling the ACCOUNT_PERFORMANCE_REPORT with the conversions and conversion types.  It will tell when it comes from Analytics.  The only issue is that it only shows up if there's data for it in the time period, and it doesn't include the conversion settings.  But it's better than nothing.

Stijn van Lieshout

Nov 15, 2018, 5:20:56 PM11/15/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Thanks for the suggestion Adam,

That's I guess what I'd have to do for the time being. The main thing that I'm still missing then is the count type of a conversion (unique or every).

Sreelakshmi Sasidharan (AdWords API Team)

Nov 16, 2018, 2:11:21 PM11/16/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi,

The conversion count type is unfortunately not available via reports. I am still checking if the API can return these via ConversionTarckerService. I will let you know if I have any updates. Until then, you may need to get the count type via the UI.

Indrani Kilaru

Jan 10, 2019, 7:40:43 PM1/10/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
 Hi,

When can we expect retrieving Google Analytics conversion trackers through ConversionTrackerService.

Thanks,
Indrani.

Sreelakshmi Sasidharan (AdWords API Team)

Jan 11, 2019, 2:21:30 PM1/11/19
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hello Indrani,

Currently, it is not possible to get the Google Analytics conversion trackers through ConversionTrackerService. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the future plans for this feature. Please keep an eye on our blog for the updates and announcements.

xy sun

Mar 31, 2020, 10:05:19 AM3/31/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi

Google ads can import goals from different sources such as Google Analytics,Third-party app analytics, Salesforce etc.. Is there a way to know the goal is imported from Google Analytics through ConversionTrackerService?

Thanks,
Xiaoying

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Mar 31, 2020, 5:30:52 PM3/31/20
to sun...@yeah.net, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xiaoying,

It is possible to retrieve this information through reports with the ExternalConversionSource field. For a list of the types of reports that have this field available, you can take a look at this documentation.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Danica Calusin, Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5001UZVMto:ref

xy sun

Apr 3, 2020, 3:38:21 AM4/3/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Thanks Danica Calusin, I will have a try.

Thanks,
Xiaoying

xy sun

Apr 22, 2020, 1:29:35 AM4/22/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Thanks Danica Calusin, I can get data from ExternalConversionSource field.

Another question:  In UI, for conversions, there is a tab called Webpages, which lists the URLs of pages where you’re tracking conversions.
                              How to get these Webpages from API?

Capture2.PNG

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Apr 22, 2020, 1:33:37 PM4/22/20
to sun...@yeah.net, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xiaoying,

You can use ConversionActionService to return a ConversionActionType of WEBPAGE. For more information on conversions in Google Ads API, you may also refer to this guide. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

xy sun

Apr 23, 2020, 3:50:59 AM4/23/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Thanks Danica Calusi. I will try this.

xy sun

Apr 23, 2020, 6:44:51 AM4/23/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Danica Calusi,

For API GetConversionAction which returns ConversionAction, seems that ConversionAction does not contain Webpages which lists the URLs of pages where you’re tracking conversions.  Did I miss something?

Thanks,
Xiaoying

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Apr 23, 2020, 12:18:16 PM4/23/20
to sun...@yeah.net, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xiaoying,

ConversionAction has a field of type ConversionActionType, which can be specified as type WEBPAGE. If this is not what you are looking for, please let me know.

xy sun

Apr 24, 2020, 8:28:56 AM4/24/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Danica Calusin,

For example, I added the global site tag and an event snippet to page1 and page2, page1 and page2 are URLs where I am tracking conversions.
If I specified ConversionActionType as WEBPAGE to get ConversionAction, which field in ConversionAction is the URLS of page1 and page2?

Thanks,
Xiaoying

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Apr 24, 2020, 3:18:30 PM4/24/20
to sun...@yeah.net, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xiaoying,

Thank you for clarifying! Unfortunately, it is not yet possible to retrieve the URLs of the Webpages via API the way you can in the UI. Please continue using the UI for this feature. For any updates, you may follow our blog if this becomes available in future releases.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

xy sun

Apr 25, 2020, 9:21:36 PM4/25/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Got it. Thanks Danica Calusin.

xy sun

Apr 26, 2020, 1:18:29 AM4/26/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Danica Calusin,

   Specified ExternalConversionSource as Analytics in reports, we can get ConversionTrackerIds for goals imported from google analytics, is there a way to get ConversionTrackerIds' other properties which defined in google analytic from Ad API?

    For example, I created destination goal1 and goal2 in google analytics, imported destination goal1 to google ads as conversionAction1. How to get conversionAction1's other properties (such as Destination ) which defined in google analytics from Ad API?

Thanks,
Xiaoying
Capture3.PNG

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Apr 27, 2020, 2:11:05 PM4/27/20
to sun...@yeah.net, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xiaoying,

Can you specify which report you are trying to pull this information from?

xy sun

Apr 27, 2020, 8:02:33 PM4/27/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum

Hi Danica Calusin,

     I am trying Account Performance report and Search Query Performance report.

Thanks,
Xiaoying

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Apr 28, 2020, 1:33:21 PM4/28/20
to sun...@yeah.net, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Xiaoying,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to get ConversionTrackerIds' other properties within Account Performance report and Search Query Performance report. You may refer to this documentation (Account Performance) and this documentation (Search Query Performance) for a list of all available properties that can be reported on.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

xy sun

Apr 29, 2020, 11:26:58 AM4/29/20