Why does removing ad level tracking template send the Ad for a review?

Eternal Fool

Apr 23, 2015, 8:17:05 AM4/23/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
One of the reasons shared tracking template was introduced was to stop unnecessary reviews right?
Will an ad go for a review if I change parameters in a (account,campaign,ad) level tracking template?

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Apr 24, 2015, 4:28:07 PM4/24/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

All changes will still ultimately be reviewed, but the main advantage of upgraded URLs with a tracking template is that certain changes will no longer stop your ads from serving while the review is taking place.

If you change the trackingUrlTemplate or customParameters at the Customer, Campaign, or AdGroup level, then your ads will continue to serve while the review occurs in the background.

In contrast, if you change the trackingUrlTemplate, customParameters, or finalUrls of an AdGroupCriterion (keyword), Sitelink (FeedItem or SitelinkFeedItem), or Ad, then your ads will stop serving until the changes have been reviewed.

Note as well that Ads are always immutable in AdWords, so if you want to make changes to an Ad you'll have to REMOVE the existing AdGroupAd and ADD a new one with the updated attributes. The one exception to this is if you are performing a one-time migration to upgraded URLs, as described in our migration guide.

Cheers,
Josh, AdWords API Team