"Connection timed out" error for reporting api

Kim Walker

Apr 19, 2018, 5:57:31 PM4/19/18
to AdWords API Forum
We have been using the AdWords reporting API since December and downloading reporting data once a day since without any issues.

In the last 3 weeks we have been getting a "Connection timed out" error for the download more and more often, to the point none of our downloads are completing.  It seems the account  and report dates don't impact the error, but we are getting the error for the geographic reporting.

Has anything changed in the reporting service that we need to correct?  It seems there is no service status dashboard, has the service been down at all?  Any help would be appreciated.

Peter Oliquino

Apr 19, 2018, 11:47:49 PM4/19/18
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Kim,

When you encounter timeouts when generating reports, it could mean that you maybe downloading a huge amount of data all at once. To avoid this, I would recommend that you break down your reports by adding filters or by narrowing down the dateRange.

However, if the data you are downloading isn't really that huge and you are still encountering this error, could you provide your clientCustomerId and the complete report definition you used so I can further investigate? You may reply to me via the Reply privately to author option.

Thanks and regards,
Peter
AdWords API Team

Peter Oliquino (AdWords API Team)

Apr 23, 2018, 11:49:34 PM4/23/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Kim,

That's great to hear that you no longer encounter the issue! Also, I'm posting this in the forum, instead of sending it to you privately, for the benefit of those who may be encountering the same issue.

So moving forward, the timeout error is usually encountered only when generating a report file containing a significant amount of data. Also, there aren't any recent changes or issues that might have been another probable reason why you encountered the issue.

Should the error persist in any of your future requests, you may send to me your updated report definition so I can further investigate.

Best regards,
Peter
AdWords API Team