geotargeting: Downloading all locations

Nimcy Sucheendran

Feb 9, 2017, 9:43:53 PM2/9/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi

I have a requirement where I want to download the report seen here on a daily basis.

I did manage to use the LocationCriterionService and download some data. However, here are a few issues.

1. I would like to download all target locations rather than having to feed in the location names. Is there any other service or a query I could issue?
2. How frequently is the data on the UI updated?

Thanks
Nimcy

Joyce Lava

Feb 10, 2017, 12:50:59 AM2/10/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Nimcy,

Please see my responses below:

1. I would like to download all target locations rather than having to feed in the location names. Is there any other service or a query I could issue?
There is no other way I am aware of (using AdWords API services) that you can get geo locations aside from LocationCriterionService. If you won't specify the LocationName in the predicate, you'll probably receive the error message REQUIRED_LOCATION_CRITERION_PREDICATE_MISSING. Thus, if you need all geo locations, what you could use is the geo targets table.

2. How frequently is the data on the UI updated?
It's being updated periodically so you may need to monitor the latest CSV file available.

Regards,
Joyce, AdWords API Team

Adigami

Jun 21, 2017, 6:08:17 PM6/21/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Joyce,

We have an automated service that brings in advertising data for thousands of advertisers on a daily basis and would like to automatically translate location codes to names.

1. It seems that there is no easy way of using the LocationCriterionService to get a complete list of the latest Locations on demand. Is this true?

2. Our next option is to download the CSV file that is stored on your website in the Geotargets page (https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/geotargeting). But this doesn't seem to be a reliable way of getting this information. You mention that we need to "monitor" the latest available CSV but there's no direct link to that file that we can do repeated downloads (e.g. Today the link is pointing to https://goo.gl/IoeiSx). There has got to be a more robust way that we're not seeing.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Cyrus

Peter Oliquino

Jun 22, 2017, 1:53:21 AM6/22/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Cyrus,

I'm a colleague of Joyce and will be providing support in the meantime. For your first question, yes, only way to get the complete and updated list can be found via the geo targeting spreadsheet and to answer the second question, there currently isn't any direct way to get this list other than regulary visiting the link and downloading the latest version of the spreadsheet.

Also, being that this is already an old thread, please create a new one if you have any follow up questions and we'll continue our discussion from there.

Best regards,
Peter
AdWords API Team