Shopping Campaign Restructuring - performance history continuity

david

Aug 23, 2016, 6:12:00 AM8/23/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

We're looking at restructuring the product groups within our Shopping campaign (which are contained in a single ad group).

Currently we have fairly flat structure:

SUBDIVISION--------....
 |       |        |
 |       |        |
OfferId OfferId  OfferId

Changing to a structure with an extra level of subdivision:

SUBDIVISION---------------
 |           |            |
 |           |            |
custom      custom       custom      (based on CUSTOM_LABEL_0)
|  |  |    |  |   |     |  |  |
|  |  |    |  |   |     |  |  |
OfferIds   OfferIds     OfferIds

I plan on structuring by making a mutate call to REMOVE, and ADD the correct product groups within the same call within the existing ad group.

Currently we auto-reprice the existing campaign based on historical data from PRODUCT_PARTITION_REPORT using the criterion_id of each leaf in the tree.
But when I transform the product group tree into the new structure, I can see that the critierion_id of each product leaf will change, so for each criterion_id leaf, we will lose the performance history from PRODUCT_PARTITION_REPORT.

The SHOPPING_PERFORMANCE_REPORT gives pretty much the same data but based on OfferId instead of criterion_id. The OfferIds are constant between the old and new structure.

My question is, will the the SHOPPING_PERFORMANCE_REPORT for an OfferId "ProductA" give the same performance stats after the restructuring as it did before?

Thanks for any help.

Shwetha Vastrad (AdWords API Team)

Aug 23, 2016, 11:42:34 AM8/23/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi David,

Since the Shopping Performance Report aggregates statistics at the product level, you should expect similar performance stats after restructuring your product partitions. Please note that if you have done changes outside the AdGroup, the data returned might not be what you expect, if other segment fields are used.

Regards,
Shwetha, AdWords API Team.

david

Aug 23, 2016, 12:12:30 PM8/23/16
to AdWords API Forum
Thanks... so just to confirm :

Before restructuring: "product_a" has 100 conversions in the SHOPPING_PERFORMANCE_REPORT from the past 3 months.
After restructuring: "product_a" will still have ~100 conversions  in the SHOPPING_PERFORMANCE_REPORT from the past 3 months.

Is this broadly correct?

Shwetha Vastrad (AdWords API Team)

Aug 23, 2016, 12:36:00 PM8/23/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi David,

Yes, that's correct. After restructuring your product partitions, you should still get the same data for the past 3 months.