Traffic Estimator Service: RateExceededError

Christian Borck

Sep 16, 2014, 11:53:53 AM9/16/14
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
In one of our applications we're using the traffic estimator service to get keyword estimates for different maxCPCs and get rate-limit errors (name=RateExceededError, rateName=RATE_LIMIT, rateScope=ACCOUNT) on the account level as soon as we do on average more than 3 requests per second. This significantly slows down our system since we have accounts with a large number of campaigns and we want to handle them in parallel (on the campaign-level). We'd like to know if there is any way to increase the number of permitted requests. Or can you suggest a different way to deal with this problem?

Thanks,
Christian

Ray Tsang (AdWords API Team)

Sep 16, 2014, 2:09:10 PM9/16/14
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Christian,

Please review the Rate Limit guide - freshly created new AdWords account may have a significantly more restrictive rate limit.  The rate limit may be relaxed over time for freshly created accounts.  You may want to explore the different strategies in the guide to deal w/ the rate limits.

Thanks,

Ray

Christian Borck

Nov 24, 2014, 10:37:34 AM11/24/14
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ray,

thank you for your response. We've implemented the suggested strategies to handle varying limits.
But: Since 3 days we are experiencing a significant drop in QPS over all accounts we estimating traffic for:

[RateExceededError <rateName=RATE_LIMIT, rateKey=null, rateScope=ACCOUNT, retryAfterSeconds=30>]

We already throttled to 1 QPS and still get this error. Did you change something concerning the limits in general?
In total we get less than 1/6th of the performance compared to the performance before.

Thanks, Christian

Danial Klimkin

Nov 25, 2014, 7:55:58 AM11/25/14
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hello Christian,

What kind of requests are those? We've set a lower limits on the PLACEMENT ideas request type as it is deprecated but other types should not be affected.

-Danial, AdWords API Team.

Christian Borck

Nov 25, 2014, 10:17:59 AM11/25/14
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Danial,

we're requesting KeywordEstimates for search campaigns only. So it shouldn't be affected by lower limits on the Placement reqeust type!? Please see example request below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.
<soapenv:Header>
<ns1:RequestHeader xmlns:ns1="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/o/v201409" soapenv:mustUnderstand="0">
            <ns2:clientCustomerId xmlns:ns2="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201409">XXXXX</ns2:clientCustomerId>;
            <ns3:developerToken xmlns:ns3="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201409">XXXXX</ns3:developerToken>;
            <ns4:userAgent xmlns:ns4="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201409">XXXXX</ns4:userAgent>
            <ns5:validateOnly xmlns:ns5="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201409">false</ns5:validateOnly>;
            <ns6:partialFailure xmlns:ns6="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201409">false</ns6:partialFailure>;
        </ns1:RequestHeader>
    </soapenv:Header>
    <soapenv:Body>
            <selector>
                <campaignEstimateRequests>
                    <campaignId>XXXXX</campaignId>
                    <adGroupEstimateRequests>
                        <adGroupId>XXXXX</adGroupId>
                        <keywordEstimateRequests>
                            <keyword>
                                <ns7:id xmlns:ns7="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201409">XXXXX</ns7:id>;
                                <ns8:text xmlns:ns8="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201409">XXXXX XXXXX</ns8:text>
                                <ns9:matchType xmlns:ns9="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201409">BROAD</ns9:matchType>;
                            </keyword>
                            <maxCpc>
                                <ns10:ComparableValue.Type xmlns:ns10="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201409">Money</ns10:ComparableValue.Type>;
                                <ns11:microAmount xmlns:ns11="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201409">10000</ns11:microAmount>;
                            </maxCpc>
                            <isNegative>false</isNegative>
                        </keywordEstimateRequests>
                    </adGroupEstimateRequests>
                    <criteria xmlns:ns12="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201409" xsi:type="ns12:Location">
                        <ns12:id>2276</ns12:id>
                    </criteria>
                    <criteria xmlns:ns13="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201409" xsi:type="ns13:Language">
                        <ns13:id>1001</ns13:id>
                    </criteria>
                </campaignEstimateRequests>
            </selector>
        </get>
    </soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

Parander

Nov 26, 2014, 4:37:22 AM11/26/14
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the "me too" post but I'm experiencing exactly the same problem as Christian. I first encountered the problem on 24/11 and now I'm getting it "all the time" for TrafficEstimatorService, I even manage to get it on the first request of the day (hours after the previous request was made).

The account has been in use for a very long time and we never saw this error before 24/11, we haven't increased our QPS and shouldn't be near the rate limits.

Other functions such as TargetingIdeaService doesn't seem to be affected.

Please advice.

Lan

Nov 26, 2014, 2:44:08 PM11/26/14
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
We are getting the same exact error as well. We even tried rotating through a list of accounts and still getting the error.

Danial Klimkin

Nov 27, 2014, 7:57:55 AM11/27/14
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

There was an issue with an internal system that resulted in lower rate limits for TES service. We've already increased the limit and hope to completely resolve this issue early next week.

-Danial, AdWords API Team.