Why are keywords case sensitive?

Chloe

Sep 29, 2016, 7:33:46 PM9/29/16
to AdWords API Forum
The docs says keywords are not case sensitive, but the API returns different Google ids for different cases of keywords (all other things being equal).

select keyword, google_id from keyword join ad_group_keyword on keyword.id = keyword_id where keyword.id in (29537062,32051019);
 keyword | google_id
---------+-----------
 Zip wax | 401869411
 zip wax |  93065030

Nadine Sundquist (AdWords API Team)

Sep 30, 2016, 11:23:28 AM9/30/16
to AdWords API Forum
Greetings!

Thanks for pointing this out! Could you do me a big favor? Could you please point me to the places in the documentation where it says that the keywords are not case sensitive. It looks like we may need to update our documentation. In the meantime, I'll make sure that this is expected behavior.

Cheers,
Nadine, AdWords API Team

Tim Cox

Feb 1, 2017, 9:25:45 AM2/1/17
to AdWords API Forum
The docs say keywords are not case sensitive here:

There's also an article in Moz forums about organic results being case sensitive:

Sooooo..... they are?

Dorian Kind

Feb 1, 2017, 9:56:43 AM2/1/17
to AdWords API Forum
As far as I understand, it's just the matching that is case-insensitive. So those two keywords, even though not being identical, will match (or don't match) for the exact same search queries.

Cheers,
Dorian