How to escape final URL more than once

HK

Apr 21, 2015, 8:24:08 PM4/21/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Due to the need to support multiple tracking providers in the tracking template, we need to escape the final URL twice. Based on various documentation, this can be achieved by using {lpurl+2}. As testing is difficult, I haven't verified this, but I assume it works. What confuses me here, and this is somewhat unrelated, is how you in the tracking template reference final URLs number 2, as up to 10 final URLs are supported. I thought I read somewhere that the same syntax was used, so {lpurl+2}, but that conflicts with what I mentioned earlier.

I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious here.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.
Hans

Thanet Knack Praneenararat (AdWords API Team)

Apr 22, 2015, 2:32:31 AM4/22/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

What you understand is correct, {lpurl+2} denotes the (first) final URL escaped twice.
It has nothing to do with final URLs number 2 - 10.

Developers are supposed to list up any URLs that will be reached finally after redirection in finalURLs.

Cheers,
Thanet, AdWords API Support

HK

Apr 22, 2015, 1:59:05 PM4/22/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Thanet,

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I'm a bit slow here, so I apologize for that, but I feel I'm still missing something.

So let's say I have two final URLs, http://www.test.com/1 and http://www.test.com/2. My template at the campaign level is http://www.trackingprovider.com?targeturl={lpurl}. I assume this normally resolves to http://www.trackingprovider.com?targeturl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.test.com%2F1

For a week, I want to experiment with using the second final URL "http://www.test.com/2", so "http://www.trackingprovider.com?targeturl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.test.com%2F2"

How do I modify the template to point to the second final URL? Is this possible or am I incorrectly assuming that it is? The below snippet from this page makes me think it might be doable:

"Most of the time, you'll only need to specify one final URL or final mobile URL. In the rare case where a tracking template might redirect the user to one of several landing pages (e.g., when testing landing pages) that don't go through a common landing page on the advertiser's domain, you can specify these landing pages using multiple final URLs."

Hans

HK

Apr 22, 2015, 6:53:19 PM4/22/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com

Thanet Knack Praneenararat (AdWords API Team)

Apr 23, 2015, 1:36:31 AM4/23/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Glad that you find answer in another post.
Sorry that I replied to you a bit lately.

Cheers,
Thanet, AdWords API Support