Possible Subdivisions for Product Group

Derek T

Oct 16, 2017, 1:14:41 PM10/16/17
to AdWords API Forum
Good afternoon!

I'm working with the Shopping section within AdWords.

I'm trying to mimic the functionality of the Product Groups section, using the .NET API libraries.  I noticed that when I click on a product group (for example, "All products") I am taken to a new screen, where I can choose what to subdivide by.

When I download the Partition Tree, I'm able to see what I previously selected, but I'm not able to view all possible choices.

As an example, I found a way to view all categories (constantDataService.getProductBiddingCategoryData), but that just gives me back the entire categories tree, instead of giving me back only what I would be able to use, under "All products."

I might be able to figure out some logic to help mitigate that issue, but it doesn't help me much for Brand, ItemId and so forth.  (I wouldn't want to have the user select a Brand that isn't even applicable to that product group.)

Before I get too far ahead, here's my question:

What is the recommended way to display the currently-applicable subdivision options, when subdividing a specific product group?

I'm very new to the API, having only worked with this for about two weeks, so I hope I'm using the correct language in my question.

If there is more information that I can provide, please let me know.  I'm in that scary phase, where I don't know what I don't know.

Thank you in advance!

Shwetha Vastrad (AdWords API Team)

Oct 16, 2017, 3:03:22 PM10/16/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

I'm afraid its not possible to get the list of available subdivision options for a particular ProductPartition using AdWords API. You can divide a ProductPartition based on the product dimensions provided here. You can get your current ProdictPartition tree using AdGroupCriterionService. I'm afraid you cannot retrieve the list of available Brands, ItemId etc to create a ProductPartition using AdWords API. You could consider retrieving this information from the linked Merchant Center account using Content API. You can only retrieve ProductBiddingCategory data, which are fixed IDs, using ConstantDataService.getProductBiddingCategoryData().

Regards,
Shwetha, AdWords API Team.

Derek T

Oct 18, 2017, 2:50:17 PM10/18/17
to AdWords API Forum
Thank you for the response, Shwetha!  Using your advice, I'm handling each partition type differently.  I'm currently down to Product Type and Custom Label, which I'm still researching at the moment.  I appreciate the quick feedback.  It sent me down a good path and I was able to move quickly afterwards.