Automated Rules In Adwords API

Rob Ryan

Feb 17, 2011, 9:16:02 AM2/17/11
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Just wondering if bringing the new automated rules to the adwords API is on the roadmap?
Thanks.

AdWords API Advisor

Feb 18, 2011, 2:59:54 PM2/18/11
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your interest in this feature. It's currently not on the
roadmap, primarily because the API itself allows for various types of
automation. What use cases do you have in mind that would benefit
from having it exposed in the API?

Best,
- Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team

Rob Ryan

Feb 21, 2011, 8:14:40 PM2/21/11
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
It does, I guess I was thinking it terms of using it to simplify in terms of how regular certain parameters are checked and use less credits for when a form of automation it supports is required. Not essential of course as it's features can be replicated just thought better design may be to hand thing off the adwords to track and deal with when possible through this feature.

AdWords API Advisor

Feb 22, 2011, 9:50:10 PM2/22/11
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the feedback. We'll continue to investigate if it makes
sense to incorporate this feature into the API.

Best,
- Eric

Reed

Feb 25, 2011, 9:58:18 AM2/25/11
to AdWords API Forum
I think that there is real value in having an API interface to the
Rules feature in AdWords. Although the existing API allows for
automation, and we make extensive use of that capability, many of the
more commonly automated tasks (bid changes based on time or
performance criteria, ad status changes, etc) can be done more
efficiently and at a lower cost when performed by AdWords rules. The
numbers that we were given from a Google rep were along the lines of
turning tens of thousands of ads on or off in a matter of seconds.

Without an API interface to the Rules feature, all of the work must be
done manually, and there is no way to integrate the Rules capabilities
into a broader account management infrastructure that many of us have
developed. Being able to swap out an exsiting module that handles
massive enabling/disabling of ads, for instance, with one that just
does a call to the Rule API would be a big, big, feature.

If you're looking for votes, count me in.
Thanks,
Reed

Apr 6, 2011, 5:03:23 PM4/6/11
to AdWords API Forum
are we allowed to +1 here, or is there a feature request tracker
somewhere we can vote this up?

Eric Koleda

Apr 11, 2011, 4:44:42 PM4/11/11
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There is no feature request tracker for the API, but I'll make sure to pass your feedback to the correct people.

Thanks,
- Eric

Dave

Sep 15, 2012, 10:21:19 PM9/15/12
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
I believe that at least exposing the ability to retrieve the currently active automated rules would be important. In our situation our customers have access to their google accounts so if they chose to create a rule in the normal interface it would be nice if our customized interface would reflect those changes.

It's certainly not a really high importance to be able to make new rules but I do agree with the other responder, why would you have each of your API 'customers' have to recreate the wheel you already have working. If people want to extend beyond what you already have going then they still have that ability.

Thanks,
Dave

David Torres

Mar 1, 2013, 4:39:13 PM3/1/13
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, eric....@google.com
Hi Evan,

I'm afraid there are still no plan to include this feature in the API.

Best,

- David Torres - AdWords API Team

On Monday, February 25, 2013 1:31:10 PM UTC-5, Evan Halley wrote:
Hi Eric,

Is there any update with regard to bringing automated rule access to the Adwords API?

Thanks,

Evan

hav...@metronet.no

Nov 22, 2013, 7:40:26 AM11/22/13
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, eric....@google.com
Hi,

AdWords account can be used by both users who use the API and other users who dont.

As an example, I now have to manually edit/delete about 100 rules in an account.
In the interface I cant sort by execution date, and I cant even copypaste the relevant ad groups... I need to hover the mouse over the information bubble and manually - m a n u a l l y - write down each ad group name.

Just fetching a list of automated rules with all relevant data would be a revolutionary improvement... a simple CSV would do.

Access to automated rules via the API would be useful to
- Edit rules created by users without API access.
- Create rules that can later be edited by users without API access.

Of course, nothing beats the information bubble in terms of speed and ease of use.

fru...@adzlocal.de

Mar 25, 2015, 8:22:37 AM3/25/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, eric....@google.com
Hi,

I was just wondering if there're any updates on this ...? (automated rules via api)?

Thanks,
Frank

Anash P. Oommen (AdWords API Team)

Mar 26, 2015, 4:10:56 PM3/26/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, eric....@google.com
Hi Frank,

We don't have any plans to support automated rules via AdWords API. You should either manage them through the UI, or use AdWords Scripts / API to implement similar functionality yourself.

Cheers,
Anash P. Oommen,
AdWords API Advisor.

g...@algomizer.com

Feb 11, 2016, 5:19:36 AM2/11/16
to AdWords API Forum, eric....@google.com
Hi,
is there an update on that issue?
Thanks,
Guy

Anash P. Oommen (AdWords API Team)

Feb 11, 2016, 12:18:44 PM2/11/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Guy,

No, and we don't have any future plans either. Automated Rules functionality is pretty straightforward to replicate using Scripts, see https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/solutions/multi-bidder for an example.

Cheers,
Anash P. Oommen,
AdWords Scripts Team.

tom.wa...@raisingit.com

Dec 11, 2018, 6:54:40 AM12/11/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Old thread, but still a worthwhile feature request I think. My main use case is so that I can disable automated rules via the API, to make sure those rules don't conflict with the automations I've built using the API. At the moment the only way to do this is to manually check every account...

Muhammad Javed

Aug 7, 2020, 1:09:32 PM8/7/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hello,

Here the scenario that we want to implement through rules using an API
We want to automatically raise the bid of a keyword for a certain day of the week (DoW) and certain hour of the day (HoD). Its option is available in rules UI in Google Ads but there is no way to do it using Google Ads API. Please provide the reference API if it exists.

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Aug 7, 2020, 3:16:38 PM8/7/20
to muhamma...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Muhammad,

Unfortunately, there is no automated rules feature in the API. As mentioned previously, you should use Google Ads Scripts to achieve similar functionality.

Regards,
Anthony
Google Ads API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q23IVGE:ref

Muhammad Javed

Aug 10, 2020, 12:53:08 PM8/10/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi  Anthony,

Thanks for your response. Actually we are automating our campaigns using Google Ads API. We have created an in house tool for this. Problem with the scripts is that we have to to write them in a particular account once and if there are any changes in the script we have to revisit all our accounts for the changes and it could be a big maintenance cost. if you please plan the rules feature in the API , We can quickly program it in our centralized application and it could save us from a lot of work.

Or is there any way to inject scripts dynamically in our accounts from my app?

Regards,
Muhammad Javed

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Aug 10, 2020, 3:08:22 PM8/10/20
to muhamma...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Muhammad,

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to dynamically inject these scripts. However, there is a feature request to have Automated Rules added to the API.

You can follow our blog for any updates.

Muhammad Javed

Aug 12, 2020, 3:56:58 AM8/12/20
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hi Anthony,

Thank you for the precise answer. Is there any estimated time frame when Automated Rules would be added to the API.

Regards,
Muhammad Javed

Google Ads API Forum Advisor Prod

Aug 12, 2020, 9:48:11 AM8/12/20
to muhamma...@gmail.com, adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Muhammad,

I cannot give any time frames for when this feature will get added. All announcements will be made on our blog.