Retrieving search volume data problem

Daphna Wegner

Dec 8, 2016, 12:51:53 PM12/8/16
to AdWords API Forum
We are trying to get search volume data for keywords using  TargetingIdeaService with 'requestType': 'STATS' to get the volume

When looking for a word that has a misspell like "srecording studio" we get back from the API:

attributes['KEYWORD_TEXT'] = srecording studio
attributes['SEARCH_VOLUME']) = 165,000

if I do the same operation on the keyword planner tool (searching for volume of "srecording studio" with the same preferences) I get the following result:

keyword: recording studio
volume: 165,000

we don't understand why the API is returning different results for a misspell that has no search volume, I would expect to get:

attributes['KEYWORD_TEXT'] = srecording studio
attributes['SEARCH_VOLUME']) = 0

or if the tool is checking the volume for a related word it should return that word with its search volume:

attributes['KEYWORD_TEXT'] = recording studio
attributes['SEARCH_VOLUME']) = 165,000

returning search volume of 165,000 for "srecording studio" is simply wrong. What is the logic behind this behaviour?

here is the full request we sent:

    targeting_idea_service = client.GetService('TargetingIdeaService', version='v201607')

    offset = 0
    selector = {
      'searchParameters': [
          {
              'xsi_type': 'RelatedToQuerySearchParameter',
              'queries': words
          },
      ],
      'ideaType': 'KEYWORD',
      'requestType': 'STATS',
      'requestedAttributeTypes': ['KEYWORD_TEXT', 'SEARCH_VOLUME'],
      'paging': {
          'startIndex': str(offset),
          'numberResults': str(PAGE_SIZE)
      }
    }
    more_pages = True
    while more_pages:
        page = targeting_idea_service.get(selector)
        # Display results.
        if 'entries' in page:
          for result in page['entries']:

            attributes = {}
            for attribute in result['data']:
              attributes[attribute['key']] = getattr(attribute['value'], 'value','0')
            print ('Keyword \'%s\'  average monthly search volume '
                   '\'%s\n'
                   % (attributes['KEYWORD_TEXT'],
                      attributes['SEARCH_VOLUME']))

          print
        else:
          print 'No related keywords were found.'
        offset += PAGE_SIZE
        selector['paging']['startIndex'] = str(offset)
        more_pages = offset < int(page['totalNumEntries'])

Shwetha Vastrad (AdWords API Team)

Dec 8, 2016, 2:42:41 PM12/8/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Daphna,

Thanks for providing this information. The response does seem to be inconsistent. I'll pass it along to the team for further investigation. Please note that TargetingIdeaService is not an exact equivalent of Keyword Planner tool. I'll keep you notified about any updates.

Regards,
Shwetha, AdWords API Team.

Daphna Wegner

Dec 8, 2016, 2:54:38 PM12/8/16
to AdWords API Forum
Thanks Shwetha, I wonder if there is any way to get the actual keyword that is getting the volume back from the request, in other words for querying the word "srecording studio" is it possible to get back the word that is getting checked ("recording studio") with its volume of 165,000 then I can compare them on my side and see that the two keywords are not the same and disregard the volume.

or is there any way of knowing that the volume belong to a different word then the one sent to the API?

Thanks,
Daphna

Shwetha Vastrad (AdWords API Team)

Dec 8, 2016, 3:59:05 PM12/8/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Daphna,

I'm afraid it's not possible to get the response as you suggest from TargetingIdeaService at the moment. I'll provide these suggestions to the team so they can consider these options.

Daphna Wegner

Jan 20, 2017, 2:25:44 PM1/20/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Shwetha,

Is there any update for this? our tool is now providing us with wrong data because of this change and not being able to get the actual keyword the volume is returned for.

Thanks,
Daphna

Nadine Sundquist (AdWords API Team)

Jan 20, 2017, 5:16:48 PM1/20/17
to AdWords API Forum
Greetings Daphna,

One thing I've noticed about this service is that the corrections are predictable in one way. If you go to google.com and type in 'srecording studio', you'll see that it says Showing result for recording studio. I know some people have leveraged that behavior to determine what the correction will be. This is considered expected behavior, but we always want to be open to making it better. I'm starting a thread on my team to see if it would be possible to return the corrected word. I'll get back to you after we've had that discussion.

Cheers,
Nadine, AdWords API Team

Nadine Sundquist (AdWords API Team)

Jan 23, 2017, 12:21:44 PM1/23/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Daphna,

After having a discussion with my teammates about this, I've put in a feature request to also return the other keyword that matches the statistics. That way you would have both keywords without disrupting people who are used to the current behavior.

Best,
Nadine, AdWords API Team

Andrew P

Feb 17, 2017, 2:36:46 PM2/17/17
to AdWords API Forum
I am also looking forward to this feature :)

I just started working with the API, and encountered the same issue as Daphna.

Nadine Sundquist (AdWords API Team)

Feb 17, 2017, 4:51:09 PM2/17/17
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for providing your '+1' on the forum! It does help our prioritization a little more when we know that other people could use a feature. This is still under discussion if it's something that can be added, but I'll update this post if it does end up being provided.

Cheers,
Nadine, AdWords API Team

Akash Mansukhani

Aug 4, 2017, 3:32:41 AM8/4/17
to AdWords API Forum
+1 for this feature too.

Steve H

Mar 7, 2018, 5:40:09 AM3/7/18
to AdWords API Forum
+1 one for this feature too.

Is there any update if this feature will be upcoming any time soon?

Thanks

Effy Teva

Jun 25, 2018, 7:17:53 AM6/25/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
+1

Nadine Sundquist (AdWords API Team)

Jun 27, 2018, 9:36:11 AM6/27/18
to AdWords API and Google Ads API Forum
Hello All,

Unfortunately, it was decided not to do this in the current AdWords API. However, I'm sure you've heard about the new Google Ads API that is currently in beta. We'll take this one under consideration when designing the new API, so it helps to know that there's still interest in this.

Best,
Nadine, AdWords API Team

On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 7:17:53 AM UTC-4, Effy Teva wrote:
+1