is adwords down right now? getting 502 server error

mobile...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2013, 9:16:55 PM11/12/13
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
is adwords down right now? getting 502 server error

Takeshi Hagikura (AdWords API Team)

Nov 14, 2013, 5:40:01 AM11/14/13
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm not able to reproduce it.
If it's still reproducible, please share detailed steps.

Best,
- Takeshi,

Michelle Roddy

Nov 15, 2013, 7:58:56 AM11/15/13
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
I've had the same 502 error. It's been this past week only in the mornings. I've checked at various times and it hasn't been working before around 9AM Eastern time each day. Type in the url and it just pops up with the error. Won't let you even get to the login page. Any information as to why this is happening would be great!

Alan Scarpa

Nov 15, 2013, 11:16:37 AM11/15/13
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
It's been down for me too!  for 3 days now!

Zweitze

Nov 19, 2013, 8:50:22 AM11/19/13
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
I had this on Nov 18 and 19, both at the same time, 06:32h CEST.
Report request:

<reportDefinition>
<selector xmlns="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201306">
<fields>AccountDescriptiveName</fields>
<fields>AccountCurrencyCode</fields>
<fields>AccountTimeZoneId</fields>
<fields>Impressions</fields>
<fields>AccountId</fields>
</selector>
<reportName xmlns="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201306">AdwordsReportAccountInfo_All_Time</reportName>
<reportType xmlns="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201306">ACCOUNT_PERFORMANCE_REPORT</reportType>
<dateRangeType xmlns="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201306">ALL_TIME</dateRangeType>
<downloadFormat xmlns="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201306">GZIPPED_XML</downloadFormat>
<includeZeroImpressions xmlns="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201306">true</includeZeroImpressions>
</reportDefinition>

This report was tried four times with 30 seconds between the attempts - all attempts failed.
Note that in a lot of instances everything goes well, for hundreds of reports it was OK (allthough I don't know how many retries were needed for those...)

Note that we run the most reports between 04:30h and 05:30h CEST, without problems. But at 06:32h we do get problems...

Hope this helps.

Takeshi Hagikura (AdWords API Team)

Nov 20, 2013, 1:43:38 AM11/20/13
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone,

I'm not able to reproduce it though, it may happen in a specific time or sporadically.
To look into this further, can you please share the following?

- Do you always see the same error when you get 502?
- Can you please share the error response in more detail including HTTP response headers?

Best,
- Takeshi, AdWords API Team

Zweitze

Nov 20, 2013, 7:22:47 AM11/20/13
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately my response headers were lost.
But I looked a bit further back, I found similar errors on Oct 25 (on three accounts), Nov 7 (two accounts), Nov 9 (1 account), Nov 18 (1 account), Nov 19 (1 account).

But: these errors ALWAYS occured at 06:32h CEST!
Mind you, we get hundreds to thousands of reports each day, but we only get HTTP 502 at 06:32h.

I should mention a 502 qualifies for retries in our software: in all cases the fourth attempt failed. Between the attempts the software waits 30 seconds.

Hope this helps.

Takeshi Hagikura (AdWords API Team)

Nov 21, 2013, 12:04:39 AM11/21/13
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zwelzte,

Thanks for the input.

Can you please send me your following?
- developer token
- (If possible) full request and response logs including HTTP headers

A developer token is very sensitive info, please make sure you send only me using "Reply to author" from the top right corner.

Best,
- Takeshi, AdWords API Team
Message has been deleted

Takeshi Hagikura (AdWords API Team)

Nov 26, 2013, 10:14:54 PM11/26/13
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We fixed the issue and confirmed the same request succeeded that failed before the fix.
If you are still seeing the issue, please post it again.

Best,
- Takeshi, AdWords API Team

Zweitze

Dec 5, 2013, 6:59:22 AM12/5/13
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
We got it again today... The good news is that we now log the headers. This was the request:

Request POST to /api/adwords/reportdownload/v201306:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
[...]

Note: the contents were actually URL encoded.

Request headers:
Content-Type
application/x-www-form-urlencoded
Authorization
GoogleLogin auth=DQAA....r8eQ
clientCustomerId
8090813184
developerToken
kNkf...qg_g
returnMoneyInMicros
True
User-Agent
Adwords API by Maxlead
Host
Content-Length
1097
Accept-Encoding
gzip, deflate

Response HTTP 502, "Bad Gateway".

Unfortunately the content of the response was lost. Here are the response headers:
Content-Length
983
Content-Type
text/html; charset=UTF-8
Date
Thu, 05 Dec 2013 05:30:50 GMT
Server
GFE/2.0

The developer token is the developer token issued to MCC 437-819-4458.
The request was fired four times with 30 seconds in between, the data above is from the last attempt.

Regards

Takeshi Hagikura (AdWords API Team)

Dec 11, 2013, 7:47:32 PM12/11/13
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zwelte,

Thanks for letting us know it.
Looks similar to this thread.

Can you please try a different download format (CSV, XML) to see if it works?

Best,
- Takeshi, AdWords API Team

Zweitze

Dec 12, 2013, 8:48:11 AM12/12/13
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I see quite a few differences with the other thread. In my case:
- The problem does not appear consistently. Sometimes a week passes by with no problems.
- The problem occurs with different report types
- The problem occurs with multiple accounts
- If the problem occurs, it is always 06:32 CEST. Never another time. Note that only a few accounts are scheduled at that time, the bulk is scheduled two hours earlier and never had this problem.

I got one again this morning. It is for the same account as I mentioned previously (809-081-3184) but this time it occurred with an AUTOMATIC_PLACEMENTS_PERFORMANCE_REPORT, not ACCOUNT_PERFORMANCE_REPORT. The account report is the first report requested, and the automatic placement report is about the seventh - which means that the first six were OK.

The response headers:
Content-Length
983
Content-Type
text/html; charset=UTF-8
Date
Thu, 12 Dec 2013 05:31:11 GMT
Server
GFE/2.0

Report XML:

<reportDefinition>
  <selector xmlns="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201306">
    <fields>CampaignId</fields>
    <fields>AdGroupId</fields>
    <fields>Domain</fields>
    <fields>Impressions</fields>
    <predicates>
      <field>CampaignStatus</field>
      <operator>IN</operator>
      <values>ACTIVE</values>
      <values>PAUSED</values>
      <values>DELETED</values>
    </predicates>
    <predicates>
      <field>AdGroupStatus</field>
      <operator>IN</operator>
      <values>ENABLED</values>
      <values>PAUSED</values>
      <values>DELETED</values>
    </predicates>
  </selector>
  <reportName xmlns="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201306">AutomaticPlacementInfo_All_Time</reportName>
  <reportType xmlns="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201306">AUTOMATIC_PLACEMENTS_PERFORMANCE_REPORT</reportType>
  <dateRangeType xmlns="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201306">ALL_TIME</dateRangeType>
  <downloadFormat xmlns="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201306">GZIPPED_XML</downloadFormat>
  <includeZeroImpressions xmlns="https://adwords.google.com/api/adwords/cm/v201306">false</includeZeroImpressions>
</reportDefinition>

Finally, you suggested to try this without GZIP - I assume you suspect a problem there?
I'm afraid it is not feasible to try without compression. The last time the report above succeeded for the same account, it was over 1 MB in size: without compression it would become way too big.

Regards,
Zweitze de Vries

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Jan 6, 2014, 4:16:33 PM1/6/14
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zweitze,

Are you still encountering this error?

Thanks,
Josh, AdWords API Team

Zweitze

Jan 7, 2014, 8:05:43 AM1/7/14
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josh,

Recent findings:
We experienced the problem on December 12, December 26 and yesterday, January 6.

The response headers on January 6 were:
Content-Length
983
Content-Type
text/html; charset=UTF-8
Date
Mon, 06 Jan 2014 05:30:30 GMT
Server
GFE/2.0

Again, like before:
All errors occured on different accounts and different report types. All errors were HTTP 502. In all instances, four attempts were made (I can't tell whether the previous times were also HTTP 502 or a different code which is also eligible for retry).

And every time the local time was 06:32 CEST.

Regards
Zweitze de Vries

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Apr 17, 2014, 3:26:30 PM4/17/14
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zweitze,

Is this still an issue for you, and if so, could you indicate the dates and times when you are hitting 502s?

Thanks,
Josh, AdWords API Team

Zweitze

Apr 22, 2014, 4:27:30 AM4/22/14
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Josh,

It happened once or twice more in January. After that the problem disappeared.

Thanks!

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Apr 22, 2014, 9:29:26 AM4/22/14
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for letting me know - glad to hear this has cleared up.

Cheers,
Josh Radcliff, AdWords API Team