IPv6 Exclusion

Dorian Kind

May 6, 2015, 11:40:28 AM5/6/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Just out of curiosity, I've tried to set up some IP exclusion rules in a test account. It appears that IPv6 addresses are supported in the corresponding dialog, as I cannot save incomplete or invalid entries. However, I have found no way to exclude whole prefixes. With IPv6 privacy extensions now being supported by all popular operating systems, excluding individual addresses is probably not really going to get you anywhere.

I tried to enter an address with a prefix length, and something very interesting happened: When I enter 2001:db8::/32 as address and click "Save", the address is changed to 2001:db8::/32/128 and I get an "Invalid address" error.

Besides this amusing behavior, is there any way to exclude whole IPv6 prefixes as opposed to individual addresses in the web interface?

As far as the API is concerned, it's stated that "IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, individual addresses (192.168.0.1), masks for individual addresses (192.168.0.1/32) [and] masks for Class C networks (192.168.0.1/24)" are supported as IpBlock criteria, but I'm not sure if this also includes IPv6 prefixes. I intend on testing it, but if anyone already knows the answer, I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks for any feedback and best regards,
Dorian

Nadine Sundquist (AdWords API Team)

May 7, 2015, 10:53:39 AM5/7/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, dor...@webrepublic.ch
Hello Dorian,

I'm looking into this and will get back to you. If you get a chance to test it before I have the answer for you, I would like to hear about the outcome.

Best,
Nadine, AdWords API Team

Raghavendra Soudala (AdWords API Team)

May 7, 2015, 4:51:34 PM5/7/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, dor...@webrepublic.ch
Hi Dorian,

Your question looks more like a product-related, so I suggest that you post it on our product forum.

Cheers,
Raghavendra, AdWords API Team.

Dorian Kind

May 12, 2015, 12:20:59 PM5/12/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com, dor...@webrepublic.ch
Hi there,

I've gathered some anecdotal evidence that the CampaignCriterionService supports blocking whole IPv6 prefixes up to size /48. Any prefixes larger than that (i.e. with a smaller prefix length) will give you CriterionError.INVALID_IP_FORMAT.

By the way, if you're looking for the selector field to get the actual IP address out of the criterion, it's KeywordText(!!!) Just in case anyone is desperately looking for it.

Cheers,
Dorian

Dorian Kind

Sep 20, 2017, 11:17:06 AM9/20/17
to AdWords API Forum
An update to my original post: In the meantime the behavior changed; it's now possible to exclude arbitrarily large IPv6 subnets using the CampaignCriterionService, here's an example with a /4 prefix(!)

(CampaignCriterionPage){
   totalNumEntries = 1
   Page.Type = "CampaignCriterionPage"
   entries[] =
      (NegativeCampaignCriterion){
         campaignId = 924438233
         isNegative = True
         criterion =
            (IpBlock){
               id = 362641166356
               type = "IP_BLOCK"
               Criterion.Type = "IpBlock"
               ipAddress = "2000:0:0:0:0:0:0:0/4"
            }
         CampaignCriterion.Type = "NegativeCampaignCriterion"
      },
 }

Maybe this helps someone.

Cheers,