Testing Upgraded URLs

HK

Apr 7, 2015, 12:13:08 PM4/7/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I wanted to ask what Google's recommendation is for testing Upgraded URLs? Adding support for Upgraded URLs will touch millions of ads and keywords for us and we need a way to be 100% certain that the various new properties (final URL, custom parameters, etc.) at various levels of the accounts build the expected URL in the end.

Thanks,
Hans

Anash P. Oommen (AdWords API Team)

Apr 8, 2015, 9:48:18 AM4/8/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

We don't have an official testing strategy recommendation for Upgraded URLs, but one way you could do this is to
- Build a sample campaign with the possible destinationurl combinations.
- Upgrade that campaign.
- On your tracking server, see if you get the same set of parameters before and after the upgrade.

Cheers,
Anash P. Oommen,
AdWords API Advisor.

HK

Apr 9, 2015, 12:28:32 PM4/9/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Anash

Getting your ads to serve with a live account isn't always that easy when you are developing. It means you need a live account with everything set up correctly and you have to pay Google for every click you make while testing. I really hope Google will consider building a test UI soon where developers can force ads to serve without going through all the before mentioned work. Especially now that the simplicity of destination URLs is gone and many more factors come into play in building the URL the user ends up triggering.

Thanks,
Hans

Anash P. Oommen (AdWords API Team)

Apr 14, 2015, 2:47:10 PM4/14/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

That's a UI feature request; could you open a thread on the product forum?

Cheers,
Anash P. Oommen,
AdWords API Advisor.

mm

Apr 17, 2015, 10:39:32 AM4/17/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Realistically, a UI is not particularly useful at scale - it would be more useful to have an api for retrieving an entity's fully resolved URL

Anash P. Oommen (AdWords API Team)

Apr 17, 2015, 3:05:33 PM4/17/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Fair point. What I can try to do is to publish some external info on how exactly to construct an entity's fully resolved URL. Will that work?

Cheers,
Anash

HK

Apr 23, 2015, 9:10:51 PM4/23/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
I like mm's suggestion. Ideally, there would be an api where you passed in the ad group id, ad id and criterion id and it spit back the effective landing page if that ad was served.The documentation already has examples, so I'd be more interested in something that is closer to the real world as opposed to more documentation, assuming that is what you mean, Anash. Appreciate the offer though!

mm

May 1, 2015, 4:57:08 PM5/1/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Any update on this Anash? This would be particularly helpful as we ugrade our accounts to ensure that all the new url pieces ultimately resolves to the previous destUrl

Udo Gröbner

May 6, 2015, 7:32:21 AM5/6/15
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
+1 for more information on that subject.
I'm receiving URL_NOT_EQUIVALENT errors during test-upgrade and have no clue, what's different. So some sort of hint, how exactly you concatenate tracking url and final url would be helpful.
thank you!