BatchJobService. Why some jobs go to Canceled status?

Jbielsa

Aug 23, 2016, 6:31:00 AM8/23/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi!

I have many jobs everyday in canceled status and I don't know why.

If I get the results, I can see that processingErrors and downloadUrl fields are null, and I don't have any information about.

There are some examples:

account: 3892674357 batch: 347326772
account: 5565835114 batch: 347326601
account: 7213655826 batch: 347265420

Thanks.

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Aug 23, 2016, 1:34:43 PM8/23/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

I'm investigating what happened with these 3 jobs. I'll post back as soon as I have more information.

Thanks,
Josh, AdWords API Team

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Aug 24, 2016, 11:23:11 AM8/24/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

Those particular jobs were canceled because there was an issue writing the results. That has been addressed and now each job should have a valid downloadUrl. Please try downloading results and let me know if you run into any issues.

Thanks,
Josh, AdWords API Team

Jbielsa

Aug 24, 2016, 1:38:56 PM8/24/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Josh

I have downloaded the results and I see that only appear the  executed operations without errors.

Rest of operations were not executed

The field "processingErrors" continue null.

Thanks

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Aug 24, 2016, 1:43:05 PM8/24/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

Is that the case for all three jobs? If not, could you let me know which of the jobs have this problem?

Thanks,
Josh, AdWords API Team
Message has been deleted

Jbielsa

Aug 24, 2016, 4:00:54 PM8/24/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi!

3 Jobs with same problem:

account: 3892674357 batch: 347326772 Executed: 65% Operations successful: 80.000 Total operations: 122.987

account: 5565835114 batch: 347326601 Executed: 70% Operations successful: 100.000 Total operations: 141.429

account: 7213655826 batch: 347265420 Executed: 17% Operations successful: 35.000 Total operations: 198.652

DownloadUrl only get operations executed

Thanks

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Aug 25, 2016, 9:23:07 AM8/25/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

This is expected because the jobs are in the CANCELED state, which means not all operations were completed. See the Note in blue from our Batch Processing guide:

Note: In this case, some of your operations may have been attempted, so it's best to check the results in the downloadUrl even though the job has a final status of CANCELED.

Cheers,
Josh, AdWords API Team

Jbielsa

Aug 26, 2016, 5:20:02 AM8/26/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Josh,

Thanks for your help. My question is why are some operations failing to complete? What should I do with those jobs, repeat them?

Cheers,

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Aug 26, 2016, 11:35:03 AM8/26/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

Jobs may fail to complete for a variety of reasons, such as rate limits still occurring even after retries or issues with the service itself (that was the case for these jobs).

Regardless of the underlying cause, though, if this occurs you should:
  1. Process the results from the downloadUrl to see which operations were attempted.
  2. Resubmit any operations that were not attempted in a new BatchJob.
Thanks,
Josh, AdWords API Team

Jbielsa

Aug 29, 2016, 8:38:52 AM8/29/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Josh!

I think that my jobs are failing when I create more than one in the same account. This causes them to be stopped and subsequently cancelled.

So, I tried the following: I waited for the active job to complete and then created the new one and it seem that this works correctly.

  • When submitting multiple concurrent jobs for the same clientCustomerId, try to reduce the likelihood of jobs operating on the same objects at the same time, while maintaining large job sizes. Many unfinished jobs (with status of ACTIVE or CANCELING) that try to mutate the same set of objects may lead to deadlock-like conditions resulting in severe slow-down and even job failures.

Thanks for your help!