update keyword's bidding differently according to MatchType

Jay Zou

Oct 19, 2016, 10:57:47 AM10/19/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

Here I want to update 3 biddings of 1 keyword based on its MatchType. Let's say for Exact match I'd like to bid $0.5, for Broad match I'd like to bid differently, like $0.7. Can I modify update_keyword.py in Python library like below to do the job? Thanks!

# Construct operations and update bids.
operations = [{
'operator': 'SET',
'operand': {
'xsi_type': 'BiddableAdGroupCriterion',
'adGroupId': ad_group_id,
'criterion': {
'id': keyword_id, 'type': 'KEYWORD', 'KeyWordMatchType': 'Exact'
},
'biddingStrategyConfiguration': {
'bids': [
{
'xsi_type': 'CpcBid',
'bid': {
'microAmount': '500000'
}
}
]
}
}
}]
ad_group_criteria = ad_group_criterion_service.mutate(operations)

Shwetha Vastrad (AdWords API Team)

Oct 19, 2016, 1:07:19 PM10/19/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Jay,

The above operation will update the keyword's bid regardless of its matchType. You need to use AdGroupCriterionService to get only 'Exact' match keywords and then update the bids of these keywords. You can use the get_keywords.py example and add another predicate to filter keywords based on KeywordMatchType

Regards,
Shwetha, AdWords API Team.

Jay Zou

Oct 19, 2016, 2:09:50 PM10/19/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Shwetha,

This confuses me. I thought each keyword has 3 different biddings for different MatchTypes. Since I saw one keyword may have multiple values in 'match type' column of SearchQueryPerformaceReport

But according to your answer, every keyword has only one match type. Is this 'match type' different from the one I saw in SearchQueryPerformaceReport?

Shwetha Vastrad (AdWords API Team)

Oct 19, 2016, 4:33:13 PM10/19/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Jay,

Each keyword has one MatchType. For example, a 'Broad' match keyword with text women's hats is different from an 'Exact' match keyword with the same text (women's hats). Please see this document for a detailed explanation of different keyword match types. If you edit the keyword text or the keyword match type, the original keyword will be removed and a new one is created and the statistics your keyword has accumulated will be reset to zero. You can create keywords with the same text and different matching options. This will result in different AdGroupCriterion ID for each keyword text and match type combination.

The QueryMatchTypeWithVariant value in the Search Query Performance Report tells you how the search terms that triggered your ads are related to the actual keywords in your account. This guide provides more details about this report.

I hope this helps.

Jay Zou

Oct 19, 2016, 4:39:42 PM10/19/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Shwetha,

Thanks for the clear explanation. This solves my confusions.

Best,
Jay