Accelerator applications and more Good Food news

Bob Benenson

Aug 26, 2016, 8:05:48 AM8/26/16
to Advocates for Urban Agriculture

Thank you, loyal readers!

FamilyFarmed needs and appreciates readers like you who support our efforts to advance Good Food. We're constantly gratified by the passion and commitment the Good Food community exhibits. Thank you for all you do.

We'd love to hear how we're doing, and if you'd like to see more or less of certain topics, let us know. Happy reading...and eating!

We're excited to announce that the application period for our third cohort of the Good Food Business Accelerator (GFBA) is now open. If you are a Good Food business serving the Chicago foodshed who wants to launch or expand, consider applying. Benefits for fellows include:
  • Sound business plans and polished investor pitches
  • Solid grounding in best practices for marketing, operations, and product development
  • Financing plans, referrals, and introductions to investors, banks, and private and public financing sources that facilitate connections and may result in financing deals
  • Customer development plans, referrals, and introductions to a network of customers
  • Post-program: Successful graduates will continue to receive support, access to our networks, and benefits from the resources of the Good Food Business Accelerator and other FamilyFarmed programs
Sound good? You can learn more about the program on our website, or check out the excellent new blog post on Good Food On Every Table. Don't forget,applications are due by September 19 at midnight!

We also encourage you to join us on September 13 at 1871 for the GFBA Application Celebration! GFBA mentors, advisors and alumni will be on hand to answer questions about how the program can help your business grow. The evening will close with networking, Good Food, and local beer and cocktails. We'd love to see you there!

It's back and better than ever. We're offering the chance to tour award-winning farms in their full summer harvest bounty. For $80, our bus will pick you up at Kitchfix Gold Coast, where you'll embark on a tour of four amazing farms: Windy City Harvest, Growing Power, The Plant and Growing Home. Learn more and get your tickets now, because seats are limited!

Atina Diffley is a great asset to our farmer training programs. If you've worked with her, you know she has an amazing story.

Now you have a chance to see that story live on stage! Tickets are available for a limited run of the adaption of Atina's thrilling memoir Turn Here Sweet Corn this Labor Day Weekend.

Award-winning storyteller Megan Wells stars in this one-woman show about an exceptional farmer. World premiere September 1 in Oak Park.

FamilyFarmed has the privilege of working with many awesome food and farm businesses. This is just the latest story that touches on the work we do.

Sweetgreen, a national fast/casual chain that focuses on local sourcing, has opened its first location in Chicago. And the number of local farms and Good Food businesses (and a Good Food Business Accelerator alum!) working with them is outstanding! We're excited to see commitment to locally grown foods and sustainable farming on this scale in "fast food."

From the article: "Sweetgreen found Prairie Fruits Farm and Creamery through FamilyFarmed, a nonprofit organization that aims to increase local and organic food sales. It cemented some other deals with farmers, including River Valley Ranch - RVR, through the Green City Market. It will get kale from Growing Power, from farms in Milwaukee. Tofu will come from Edgewater's Phoenix Bean Tofu and bread from Hewn Bakery in Evanston."

In this installment of Good Food on Every Table's "Farm to Table: Keeping It Real" series, Chef Jesse Badger explains how Chicago's Spoke and Bird addresses the challenges faced by small restaurants in developing relationships with their farmers for meat and produce purchases.

John Des Rosiers was still in his early 30s when he opened Inovasi, a highly regarded restaurant in the Chicago North Shore suburb of Lake Bluff. Yet he already had many years in the kitchen behind him. In fact, it would not be a wild exaggeration to say he was born to be a chef. Read about his career and dedication to sourcing from local farmers in this installment of the "Farm to Table: Keeping It Real" series.

News from the Good Food Community

August 27
Summer Night at the Farm 2016 at Growing Power Chicago

August 27

September 11

September 13

September 17

September 17

September 18

November 7-9

November 16

2016 Food Tank Summit (FamilyFarmed President Jim Slama is speaking)

November 18

The Agricultural Interpretive Center (AIC) will be an approximately 5,000 square foot building containing exhibition space and a learning lab at Naper Settlement. Through interactive exhibits, virtual technology, hands-on activities and an extraordinary collection of farming artifacts and equipment, the Agricultural Interpretive Center will sow the seeds for a whole new experience at Naper Settlement.

Join the Naperville Heritage Society and Masters of Ceremony Orion Samuelson and Max Armstrong on November 5 for a one-of-a-kind evening of fun, entertainment and interactive experiences as you explore the history and impact of farming with a preview of the Agricultural Interpretive Center. Then savor an amazing locally sourced farm-to-table dinner. Jeans and jacket attire recommended. Net proceeds will benefit the Agricultural Interpretive Center at Naper Settlement.

Join Local Orbit November 7-9 for Transparency, Collaboration and Shared Value in Local Food Economies, the newest addition in their annual workshop series. The 3-day workshop will address the unique challenges faced by local food distribution and institutional procurement professionals as they navigate second stage challenges.

Over 140 people from the US and Canada have attended. Learn more and apply now!